Copy feed block item into structured data block

Michael McGinnis

29 Sep, 2012 08:31 PM

I'm interested in importing Wordpress blog posts into our Cascade database, not just displaying the content. Several people at the user conference told me I should do this with web services. But when I read the feed block, or the page that contains it, I don't get the actual content (channel, item, guid, description, content:encoded, etc.). Actually, I don't get anything for the page except the metadata and the default region, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. I tried adding a current page index block to see if I could capture it that way, but no soap (figuratively speaking).

On the other hand, does this comment from Hannon Hill Support mean what I think it means (that I can't do this after all)?

Posted by Tim on May 20, 2011 @ 03:20 PM

It is not possible to get the rendered contents of an Index Block (or a Page for that matter) via Web Services.

1. 1 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 01 Oct, 2012 01:11 PM

Hi Micheal,

I'm interested in importing Wordpress blog posts into our Cascade database, not just displaying the content.

Would you be able to provide more detail regarding what you are looking to do? Are you looking to take a WordPress post and turn it into a Cascade page?

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by Michael McGinni... on 01 Oct, 2012 03:41 PM

That is correct. Eventually, I'd like to convert the whole site from Wordpress to Cascade so I can delete the Wordpress database.

3. 3 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 01 Oct, 2012 03:52 PM

Thank you for clarifying, Michael.

What I'm thinking you can do is parse the live WordPress feed or the WordPress export XML and use web services to create the new assets within Cascade, no need for a Feed Block.

I would recommend using the exported XML from WordPress as this includes posts, pages, categories, etc. all in one file. From there you could generate your structure based on the Page structure in WordPress (ie parent page(s)), metadata such as categories from the WordPress categories, and so on.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

4. 4 Posted by Michael McGinni... on 01 Oct, 2012 04:14 PM

So, to oversimplify, I would parse the Wordpress RSS or XML with PHP, and then use Cascade to write the results into the XHTML block or region. I can't use Cascade or XSLT to parse it. And I won't see any feed block data in web services.

5. 5 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 01 Oct, 2012 05:30 PM

Correct, I think we're on the right page.

Using PHP to generate content for a Cascade Feed Block and then using PHP to parse the Feed Block would be over-complicating things. What you'd want to do is parse and use web services at the same time. So while you parse the WordPress XML/RSS, you're generating assets within Cascade using Web Services. I hope that makes sense.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

6. Michael McGinnis closed this discussion on 01 Oct, 2012 08:31 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac