Left navigation and stylesheets

Kevin Deckard

13 Aug, 2014 08:59 PM

Hello! First time user here.
I have been given the responsibility of migrating my groups site to Cascade server. Yay! Unfortunately I have basically 0 experience with Velocity. It's not entirely foreign to me as I can understand the basics but I'm stuck at the moment.

We have been given a template that allows us to display a left navigation menu but currently it will only display children and subchildren in the menu when I need it to display more than that. I think the main problem is not knowing what to call the children of subchildren.

Below is an excerpt from our current page stylesheet. I believe the problem is not going deep enough into the folders but I'm not sure how to go deeper. Any hints or tips you could provide would be much appreciated.

<div id="left-nav">
            <ul class="menu">
                <li class="expanded first last active-trail">

## Section title
                    <a href="$rootPagePath">$sectionTitle</a>

## Arrow
                    <span class="arrow-down" style="position: absolute;border-top: 20px solid #f1f1f1;margin-top: -20px;"></span>
                    <span class="arrow-down"></span>

## Children
                    <ul class="menu">

## loop through each asset in the index block for this section
                        #foreach($child in $leftNav.children)

## $_PropertyTool.outputProperties($child)

## if there's a non-index page under this folder include it in the navigation
                            #if($child.name == "system-page" && $child.getChild("name").value != "index")
                                <li>$child.getChild("title").value.replaceAll("&amp;","&").replaceAll("&","&amp;")</li>
                            #end

## if it's a folder check to see if the children are folders or not
                            #if($child.name == "system-folder")

#set($current = "false")
                                #set($current = $_XPathTool.selectSingleNode($child, "system-folder[@current='true']"))
                                #set($showInNav = "No")
                                #set($showInNav = $_XPathTool.selectSingleNode($child, "system-page[name='index']/dynamic-metadata[name='includeNavigation']/value").value)
                                #set($indexTitle = "---NEEDS TITLE---")
                                #set($indexTitle = $_XPathTool.selectSingleNode($child, "system-page[name='index']/title").value.replaceAll("&amp;","&").replaceAll("&","&amp;"))
                                #set($indexPath = "#")
                                #set($indexPath = $_XPathTool.selectSingleNode($child, "system-page[name='index']/path").value)

#if($showInNav == "Yes")

## check if current folder
                                    #if($current != "false")
                                        <li class="expanded active-trail">
                                            <a href="$indexPath">$indexTitle</a>
                                            <ul class="menu">
                                                ## loop through and find the sub-children
                                                #foreach($subchild in $child.children)

#if($subchild.name == "system-folder")
                                                        #if($_XPathTool.selectSingleNode($subchild, "system-page[@current]"))
                                                            #set($active = "active")
                                                        #else
                                                            #set($active = "")
                                                        #end

## Show in left nav?
                                                        #set($showInNav = "No")
                                                        #set($showInNav = $_XPathTool.selectSingleNode($subchild, "system-page[name='index']/dynamic-metadata[name='includeNavigation']/value").value)
                                                        #set($indexTitle = $_XPathTool.selectSingleNode($subchild, "system-page[name='index']/title").value.replaceAll("&amp;","&").replaceAll("&","&amp;"))
                                                        #set($indexPath = "#")
                                                        #set($indexPath = $_XPathTool.selectSingleNode($subchild, "system-page[name='index']/path").value)
                                                        #if($showInNav == "Yes")
                                                            <li class="leaf $active"><a href="$indexPath">$indexTitle</a></li>
                                                        #end
                                                    #end
                                                #end
                                            </ul>
                                        </li>
                                    #else
                                        #set($children = "")
                                        #if($_XPathTool.selectSingleNode($child, "system-page[@current]"))
                                            #set($expanded = "expanded")
                                            #set($children = $_XPathTool.selectNodes($child, "../system-folder[@current]/system-folder"))
                                        #else
                                            #set($expanded = "")
                                        #end
                                        <li class="$expanded"><a href="$indexPath">$indexTitle</a>
                                        #if($children != "")
                                            #foreach($currentChild in $children)

## Show in left nav?
                                                #set($showInNav = "No")
                                                #set($showInNav = $_XPathTool.selectSingleNode($currentChild, "system-page[name='index']/dynamic-metadata[name='includeNavigation']/value").value)
                                                #set($indexTitle = $_XPathTool.selectSingleNode($currentChild, "system-page[name='index']/title").value.replaceAll("&amp;","&").replaceAll("&","&amp;"))
                                                #set($indexPath = "#")
                                                #set($indexPath = $_XPathTool.selectSingleNode($currentChild, "system-page[name='index']/path").value)
                                                #if($showInNav == "Yes")
                                                    <li class="leaf"><a href="$indexPath">$indexTitle</a></li>
                                                #end
                                            #end
                                        #end

</li>
                                    #end

#end
  1. 1 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 14 Aug, 2014 12:22 PM

Hi Kevin,

Looking over your Format, it appears you are pretty much stuck since you're dealing with nested loops. Basically, for every level you would need to nest one more loop.

I highly recommend going the recursive route using macros, because it would be much more flexible and more maintainable going forward. To get you started, we have a sample navigation Velocity Format that does just this.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

2. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 20 Aug, 2014 02:39 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac