LDAP Configuration: Convert Username to Lowercase

Ken Dickinson

15 Nov, 2012 04:25 PM

What does the "convert-username-to-lowercase" parameter do? It seems self explanatory in that it would convert the user name to all lowercase on LDAP import, but we've had a couple of users who are trying to logon where it seems that the system is converting the username to lowercase (in the username field) when they try to logon. We have some users that have mixed-case AD usernames. Cascade's LDAP import is not converting their usernames in the import process (however they were imported before we changed the setting and the synchronization process may not be overwriting their usernames).

So, does the parameter convert on import, convert on logon, or does it attempt both? And is their a way to change the case of an existing username so it will be lowercase?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tim on 15 Nov, 2012 10:33 PM

Hi Ken,

I checked in with one of my developers on this option. Here is the breakdown of what it does:

• Converts to lower case on import
    • It will not update the case of existing users during import if you weren't using the setting prior to that. It is only executed when considering whether to create NEW users in Cascade and not when updating existing ones.
    • At this point there is not a good way of changing usernames as they are primary keys in the database. Here is an idea in our Idea Exchange related specifically to the ability to rename Users and Groups in case you want to vote it up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks

2. 2 Posted by Ken Dickinson on 16 Nov, 2012 01:52 PM

One more question:

Does the setting do anything on logon? I have a user who says their logon name is converting to lowercase when they click the button.

3. 3 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 16 Nov, 2012 02:39 PM

Hi Ken,

Tim is out for the day, but I wanted to follow up on your latest question.

Does the setting do anything on logon? I have a user who says their logon name is converting to lowercase when they click the button.

Just to clarify, the user is able to login with the mixed-case username, but after being logged in, they see that their username has been converted to all lowercase?

The setting does not do anything on logon.

It's possible that you are using a case-insensitive collation on your database. The user may have been imported when the <convert-username-to-lowercase> setting was enabled so the username is lower-case in the database. They may be trying to login with a mixed-case username which the database is matching to the lower-case username in the database due to the CI collation. After they login, their username shows up as lower-case in the top-right because that is the actual format of it in the database.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks

4. 4 Posted by Ken Dickinson on 16 Nov, 2012 03:24 PM

Not exactly, Ryan, but I think you answered my question.

This user was imported with mixed case username. They were trying to logon the other day, using mixed case, and, on clicking the Submit button, their user name was visibly converted to all lowercase and they were unable to logon.

So, from what you're saying, Cascade is not converting the username to all lowercase on logon. Of course, then the question becomes: what is?

5. 5 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 16 Nov, 2012 04:12 PM

Hi Ken,

Thank you for the clarification of the behavior.

Are the field contents changing before the Submit goes through, or after they are returned to the login page? It sounds as though there may be something client-side such as a saved username/password because the form itself won't convert the value entered into the field. Can you confirm if the user has any plugins, or a saved username/password within the Browser, that may affect the username value?

6. 6 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 11 Jan, 2013 01:20 PM

Hi Ken,

I was going over some older discussions and noticed this one is still open. Were you able to find the cause of the user's credentials being converted to all lowercase?

Please feel free to let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

7. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 31 Jan, 2013 07:03 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac