Installed running as root, can this be changed?

myee

03 Oct, 2012 07:07 PM

We have 6.8 installed running as root. Prod and Dev. Testing upgrading to 7.0.4.

When cascade publishes, we want a different user to make our new deployment easier across multiple web servers/file shares.

Can the account running the applicaiton be changed after the application is installed?
Or, when the applicaiton publishes, can the file ownership/permissions be changed from root to another user?
Or, what would you recommend?
Quick reply requested.

Thanks,

Michael

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tim on 03 Oct, 2012 07:21 PM

Hi Michael,

If you are using network drives for publishing, the O/S user that starts the Cascade Server process will be the one that needs permission to write to the network drive(s).

Can the account running the applicaiton be changed after the application is installed?

Yes. Just make sure that the new owner has full access to the entire Cascade Server installation directory.

Or, when the applicaiton publishes, can the file ownership/permissions be changed from root to another user?

This would only be the case if you were using FTP or SFTP for publishing. With network drives, the O/S user that starts the Cascade Server process will be the account that is used for publishing.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by myee on 03 Oct, 2012 08:01 PM

Thanks Tim. That's very helpful.

I took over this system a number of years ago, and haven't changed the install process as you can tell.

Is best practice:
    1 - Use "cascade run account" to install, have right permissions to /usr/local, and it continues to operate cascade?

2 - Install as root, and then set up cascade run account afterwards with permissions as you note.

I thought I left "make private" box empty, and it created this post as private. I will make this public but did I miss something?

Thanks, Michael

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Tim on 04 Oct, 2012 01:06 PM

Hi Michael,

I typically install the software as root and then go back and change the owner/permissions to your non-privileged O/S user. I don't really see a problem going either route as long as the permissions are set up properly to where the Cascade O/S user has access to the entire installation directory (including child directories). Then, when you start Cascade with this non-privileged O/S user, the publishing to the mapped drive will take on the permissions of this same non-privileged O/S user.

Hope this helps.

4. Tim closed this discussion on 04 Apr, 2013 04:18 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac