Site migration from 7.0.6 to 7.10.2

jkreuzig

05 Jun, 2014 11:53 PM

I've been asked to research the idea of doing the following for our upgrade from 7.0.6 to 7.10.2:

1. Create a new Cascade instance running 7.10.2 with a completely new database install.
  2. Export sites manually from the existing 7.0.6 installation.
  3. Import the sites into the new installation.

I know that there are users, groups, roles, and other assets that need to be manually (or through webservices) migrated in order for this to work. My real question is that are there items that will just not import properly because of the version jump?

Jim

1. 1 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 06 Jun, 2014 01:01 PM

Hi Jim,

You should not run into any major issues with the version jump and imports. I would recommend importing any shared/common Sites first help avoid cross-Site reference issues with your administrative assets.

That being said, if you don't mind me asking, is there a reason why you would want to perform the upgrade this way? It would be much quicker, and simpler, to dump your current production database (just to be safe), perform the upgrade using either an installer or the ROOT.war method, and start up your instance against your current database to perform the upgrade.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by jkreuzig on 06 Jun, 2014 06:41 PM

Ryan,

The main reason we are considering this is that we have a number of people who have refused to migrate their sites out of the "Global" area. They either don't have the resources or the time to do so.

Our original setup had individuals with the "Manager" role in order to manage their sites. We have been trying to eliminate all the old vestiges of this way of running things.

By doing a fresh install and migrating sites, I would be able to force people to plan ahead for the migration.

There is also the"house cleaning" idea. We have a large number of legacy sites that probably need to be deleted, but people are not sure if they want to keep them. It may be easier at this point to just start with what is currently being used and get rid of the rest.

Chances are we will do the standard migration. I just wanted to know if there are any real issue that I would run into if the decision was made to do this.

Thanks!

Jim

3. 3 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 06 Jun, 2014 07:49 PM

Thank you for the clarification, Jim.

What you describe does make sense and I do not foresee any issues with exporting/importing the Sites from your older version into the latest version. Generally, issues arise when you go the other way; that is, export from a newer version of Cascade Server into an older version.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

4. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 19 Jun, 2014 01:38 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac