Errors upgrading test to 7.8.3 from 7.0.6

cms-it

15 Jan, 2014 03:45 PM

Hi all,
Looks like we may have a java/apache error, but I thought I'd check with you to see if you had some corrective steps already.

We went through the ROOT.WAR installation steps, and we do not have any known custom .JAR files in the WEB-INF/lib directory. So, we figured it'd be a pretty easy upgrade. After inserting the new root.war file and restarting cascade, we've been unable to browse to the site.

Here's the logs found under tomcat/logs/cascade-stderr.2014-01-05. We are running windows server 2008 R2. Any help would be great

INFO: Starting service Catalina
Jan 15, 2014 8:17:54 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.35
Jan 15, 2014 8:17:54 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
INFO: Deploying web application archive ROOT.war
Jan 15, 2014 8:18:22 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.modeler.Registry registerComponent
SEVERE: Null component Catalina:type=JspMonitor,name=jsp,WebModule=//localhost/,J2EEApplication=none,J2EEServer=none
Jan 15, 2014 8:18:22 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
SEVERE: Error deploying web application archive ROOT.war
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file (unable to load class com.hannonhill.cascade.model.sysinfo.ContextPathBean)

Jan 15, 2014 8:18:22 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
Jan 15, 2014 8:18:22 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8443
Jan 15, 2014 8:18:22 AM org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote AJP/1.3 on ajp-8009
Jan 15, 2014 8:18:22 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start

INFO: Server startup in 27502 ms

I can upload the full file, if you'd like

Carl

1. 1 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 15 Jan, 2014 03:48 PM

Hi Carl,

This is likely being caused by the fact that we removed support for Java 1.5 with the Cascade Server 7.2 release.

You'll want to install JRE 1.6 or 1.7 on the machine prior to starting Cascade Server. Be sure to download the JRE from the Oracle website.

Let me know if this helps!

2. 2 Posted by cms-it on 15 Jan, 2014 04:42 PM

Ryan,
    We've installed the 7.51 server JRE. I even went through Java's configuration utility and disabled the older versions on the machine. We gave the machine a reboot (just for kicks - sometimes that helps) and surprisingly, we're still getting the same error log.

On a side note, I had a private discussion about verifying the steps in upgrading from 7.0.6 to 7.8.2 and i didn't get the Java heads up then. I'm not upset - I should've noticed it in the 7.2 upgrade guide when I was reviewing it, too. But maybe it could be included in future responses to questions by sys admins.

Right now i'm at a loss. Does tomcat need to be reworked in any way, too? Otherwise, I was thinking we'd do try the incremental ROOT.war upgrade from 7.0 to 7.2 to 7.8.... Or however much we'll need to.

Thanks for the help Ryan! It's much appreciated,
    Carl

3. 3 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 15 Jan, 2014 05:01 PM

Hi Carl,

My apologies for the inconvenience omitting the Java requirements has caused, perhaps it was assumed you were running 1.6 at the time of the response.

We've installed the 7.51 server JRE. I even went through Java's configuration utility and disabled the older versions on the machine. We gave the machine a reboot (just for kicks - sometimes that helps) and surprisingly, we're still getting the same error log.

You mentioned performing a ROOT.war upgrade, I am curious if your Cascade Windows Service is still pointing to the older JRE. When you have a moment, we can confirm this by running tomcat/bin/cascadew.exe and clicking on the Java tab to be sure the proper JRE is being referenced.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

4. 4 Posted by cms-it on 15 Jan, 2014 06:01 PM

Bingo! You were right, the cascadew reference showed that Cascade was utilizing Java v1.5.

Interestingly, we had Java 1.6 installed on the machine already too - but I didn't know we'd have to manually point Cascade to any java version other than the default. Kind of obvious now.

We had one more issue, but it was tomcat trying to point to an outdated keystore in the server.xml file in tomcat\conf. Edited the path, and everything was golden.

Thanks a bunch for your help Ryan. My first CMS upgrade is looking good
    Carl

5. cms-it closed this discussion on 15 Jan, 2014 06:02 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac