Change server name in transport configuration

uta-cms-support

18 Sep, 2013 01:48 PM

We need to build a test environment that mirrors production. This includes load-balanced web and app servers, and a copy of the production database. We want users to really test the system and publish. We understand how to setup a "quiet running" copy of Cascade, but need help with the Transport configuration. After the database refresh from PROD to TEST we would need to replace the server name in the transport configuration for all sites and the global area in Cascade Server. Could you supply us with a SQL statement we can run?
This is for testing upgrading from V 7.0.5 to current release.
Should we upgrade first and then run the sql or run sql then upgrade?
We still have sites in the Global area as well as utilizing the site feature. We need to change the server name in the transports for both.

Thank Richard DeSantis

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tim on 18 Sep, 2013 02:27 PM

Hi Richard,

I'd recommend doing the following:

• Create a new Transport in your instance somewhere (maybe a shared/common Site?) and give it the credentials to connect to your test web server
    • While viewing the new Transport, take a look at the URL in your browser and you should see a 32-digit ID
    • Copy this ID from the URL and keep it handy
    • Execute a query like the following on your test database:
      update cxml_destination set transportId = '{IDfromTransportURL}'

(replace {IDfromTransportURL} with the ID you just grabbed from the URL of the Transport you created)

Doing this should update all of the Destinations system-wide to use your new Transport. To verify that it worked, browse through your instance and take a look at a couple of Destinations. They should all be set to use this new Transport now.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by uta-cms-support on 26 Sep, 2013 02:26 PM

Our current prod system has three transports defined at the Global level:

Transport Server Name Server Directory transportId
    SFTP_DEV www.uta.edu /opt/axiomfs00/web-devel/ id=2a780f5d816b382e01e8f4e1c04c32ac
    SFTP_TEST www.uta.edu /opt/axiomfs00/web-test/ id=a23b5c8b7f000001005ab32834d3b260
    SFTP_PROD www.uta.edu /opt/axiomfs00/web/ id=a23bc37c7f000001005ab32880469f46

Each of our 100+ sites can have three transports. More transports are added for each new site.

Looking at the ids above, I don't think Hannon Hill's answer will work. It looks like each transport has its own ID. If the IDs represent the server name, they should be identical – they are not. We are looking for a SQL statement that replaces the server name, not the transport ID.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Tim on 26 Sep, 2013 02:50 PM

Hi,

Looking at the ids above, I don't think Hannon Hill's answer will work. It looks like each transport has its own ID. If the IDs represent the server name, they should be identical – they are not. We are looking for a SQL statement that replaces the server name, not the transport ID.

The IDs are not representative of the server name. Instead, those are unique IDs for each Transport asset in the database.

Now I think I have a better idea of what you are looking to do. Rather than replace all of your Transports with 1 Transport pointing to a new test server, it looks like you are wanting to keep the existing Transports and just change the Server Name across all of them (so that they all keep their server directory values). Correct?

If that is the case, you should be able to do something like this:

update cxml_transport set serverName = '{yourTestServerName}' where serverName = 'www.uta.edu' and transportType = 'FTP';

This will change all FTP/SFTP Transports. If you're looking to change other Transports as well, you can leave off the last portion of that query. Let me know if this helps.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Tim on 22 Oct, 2013 03:24 PM

Hi Richard,

Just checking in. Did my previous comment help at all? Let me know if you guys have further questions.

Thanks!

5. Tim closed this discussion on 12 Nov, 2013 07:56 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac