custom install questions

rreynolds

10 May, 2013 09:05 PM

Greetings,

In an earlier post I inquired about setting up cascade with RHEL tomcat which I was given the nod and have that now set up in a testing environment with the manual install. I had some questions over the experience.

1. At startup jvm states about running optimally with the tomcat native apr installed so I went ahead and installed the Redhat package and it seems to accept it and runs fine. Curious if this was alright. I also noticed achieving this make the SSL connector complain about the keystore for SSL. I read in a message board somewhere that when running tomcat via apr it uses the openssl cert model instead of java keystore. Is this correct? Would I just use the same arguments as I would then for apache/http in the connector in server.xml?

2. Is the AJP 1.3 connector really needed and if so is it only internal use? Also the maxProcessors="256" seems erroneous in the error output, can maxProcessors be taken out or the entire line commented out?

3. *Answered - I noticed ehcache is new, is anything going to be done with that?

Scratch that. Found the KB URL, nice. I really need to try implementing this soon. http://www.hannonhill.com/kb/Caching/index.html#configuration-for-load-balanced-environment

4. SLF4J doesn't seem to be working at all. I'm guessing this isn't good.

SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further details.

MD5(slf4j-api-1.6.0.jar)= 480366f8ab1c8ca30ee25308d8b2aa44

I'm have the SLF4J library from the 7.2.2 package in use.

I read the further details and figured out it needed to be declared in the classpath in bin/catalina.sh however I still have the problem.

CLASSPATH=$CATALINA_HOME/bin/tomcat-juli.jar:$CATALINA_HOME/lib/slf4j-api-1.6.0.jar

I left the things I figured out to help others, but any idea about question 1,2, and 4?

Thanks

1. 1 Posted by Bradley Wagner on 13 May, 2013 08:27 PM

#1. That sounds accurate. I've not used the native libraries for Tomcat but it makes sense that you would use their keystore model and file locations as opposed to the JRE's default. We do all SSL at the Apache HTTP level and proxy to Tomcat over AJP.

#2. AJP is only necessary if you're connecting to Cascade over the port. For example, we always put Apache in front of Tomcat in production and use mod_proxy_ajp to proxy connections from Apache to Tomcat. We don't specify an HTTP/HTTPS connectors in our server.xml. maxProcessors was deprecated in Tomcat 5.5 and removed in Tomcat 6. It can be removed from the config.

#4. Can you provide any additional context around the SLF4J logging? Offhand, I think that is informational and not a problem at all.

2. 2 Posted by rreynolds on 13 May, 2013 09:43 PM

#2 Is there any benefit to running a reverse proxy to Tomcat from Apache other than the logging rather than directly accessing it?

#4 That's all I see referencing SLF4J in the logs. I'm contacting SA about if there's any SELinux complications but that's all I see.

3. 3 Posted by Bradley Wagner on 13 May, 2013 10:10 PM

#2 For us, it's logging, support for software load balancing at the Apache level, name based virtual hosting. Personally, I also find SSL easier to setup/maintain in Apache HTTP and have had fewer problems in Apache with various types of encryption than I have in Tomcat.

4. 4 Posted by rreynolds on 14 May, 2013 05:07 PM

#4 Looking over it more, it looks like the package is missing files to get SLF4J working. You need more files than just the API to get it working per http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder page. If that doesn't bother you it doesn't me either.

5. 5 Posted by Bradley Wagner on 14 May, 2013 05:16 PM

We're loading the other JARs from our webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory. Specifically, the slf4j-log4j12-1.6.0.jar. That's why I was curious where in the log file you were seeing those warnings. Could you attach the log that contains them?

6. 6 Posted by rreynolds on 14 May, 2013 05:50 PM

Here it is.
    I can also add log4j12-1.5.8.jar, api-1.5.8.jar, log4j-over-slf4j-1.5.8.jar from my rhel libraries in the cascade/lib directory. I've been trying to use those whenever possible.

7. 7 Posted by rreynolds on 16 May, 2013 06:49 PM

Alright. It does look like it loads in the webapps directory. If I add it to the classpath it will error out finding multiple versions. If I take away the api from the lib directory it'll error out from missing a class.

I'm guessing adding it as an api in the tomcat libs is a stopgap to load some expected classes.

8. 8 Posted by Bradley Wagner on 23 May, 2014 04:17 PM

A quick update here: as of Cascade Server 7.10.2, we're loading all of these caching and logging libraries from our webapp and are no longer seeing these warnings from slf4j. Please give this a shot when you get a chance.

I think that's the last of the questions here.

9. Bradley Wagner closed this discussion on 23 May, 2014 04:17 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac