Cascade 7.0.5 Memory Issues

uta-cms-support

17 Dec, 2012 03:24 PM

Hi All,

we recently upgraded to 7.0.5 and are experiencing java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space (12/14) and java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded (12/16).

Please see attache log files from 12/14/2012, 12/16/2012, and cascade.sh. We have not motified any jvm settings, these are the defaults as delivered by Hannon Hill. We now have over 100 sites in Cascade Server.

1. 1 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 17 Dec, 2012 03:50 PM

Hi,

It definitely looks as though you will need to allocate more memory to Cascade. We highly recommend a minimum of 4GB of memory available to the application server.

I have a few questions so we can get you some additional information regarding updating the memory allocation:

• What Operating System is the server running on (is it 32 or 64-bit)?
    • What is the total amount of memory available on the server?

If you are unsure of either of the questions above, feel free to attach a screenshot of the Global Administration->Dashboard->Information tab.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

2. 2 Posted by uta-cms-support on 17 Dec, 2012 04:38 PM

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5, 64-Bit and has 2 GB of total system memory. We are using virtual servers, so additional memory can be allocated.

3. 3 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 17 Dec, 2012 05:29 PM

Thank you for providing the additional information.

We are using virtual servers, so additional memory can be allocated.

I would recommend increasing the total system memory to at least 4GB if you are able to. Assuming this server is dedicated to Cascade, our general rule of thumb is to never allocate more than 3/4 of the total system memory to the application.

Once you are finished adding additional system memory, please follow the instructions on this page to increase the memory allocation to Cascade.

Note: It looks like are running on the 32-bit JRE that is bundled with Cascade, so the maximum memory allocation you can provide to Cascade is 1400MB. Allocation anything higher will cause errors.

I would highly recommend switching over to the 64-bit JVM. Once you have the 64-bit JRE 6 installed, you can simply update the first line of your cascade.sh file and point to the 64-bit JRE directory (ie the directory that contains a bin directory). Once you switch over to 64-bit, feel free to allocate additional memory between 2-3GB.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks

4. 4 Posted by uta-cms-support on 17 Dec, 2012 11:37 PM

Following the upgrade to 7.0.5, we first had issues with clustering, now with memory allocation and heap size. We have used Cascade Server since 4.x and the release notes for 5.x, 6.x, and 7.x do not specify needed system resources. The note at the bottom of the 7.0.5 upgrade guide regarding load balancing needs to be more prominent. Would it be possible to communicate these issues better in the future?

5. 5 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 18 Dec, 2012 01:54 PM

Hi,

I wanted to follow up to see if you were able to increase your memory allocation successfully. Please let us know if you have any questions or if you continue to encounter memory errors.

Would it be possible to communicate these issues better in the future?

We greatly appreciate your feedback and are definitely taking a look at how we can make the Knowledge Base more user friendly. If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to let us know!

Thanks

6. 6 Posted by uta-cms-support on 18 Dec, 2012 02:50 PM

How about a section "system requirements" in the release notes?

7. 7 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 27 Dec, 2012 02:03 PM

Hi,

Apologies for the late response.

How about a section "system requirements" in the release notes?

I do believe we're looking into incorporating something similar, where we will indicate if system requirements have changed; otherwise, you would see (or be linked to) the most recent system requirements applicable for that version of Cascade.

Have a great day!

8. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 27 Dec, 2012 02:03 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac