Need some advice on DEV server upgrade, DB v.6.8 code v7

jperreault

05 Dec, 2012 07:24 PM

Hi there,

We are testing an upgrade from Cascade Server v6.8 to version 7.x. We are using an Oracle database.

The first upgrade went fine. First we cloned our production database to a test database. I used the Linux UI to install version 7.0.3, started up tomcat.

We found that since the Velocity engine upgrade, some of our format scripts no longer worked.

So we made fixes in production, and now we've cloned that v6.8 production database to the test database.

Now, I am wondering if I should just restart Cascade Server ( and Tomcat ) or if I should go through the installation again using the Linux UI.

Thanks for your help

Jeff

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tim on 05 Dec, 2012 07:27 PM

Hi Jeff,

No need to go through all of the installer steps again. Instead, all you need to do is start Cascade against your test database (which was recently refreshed with the 6.8 db from production). Once Cascade starts up, it will see that the database is not current and will then apply the necessary updates to bring it to whatever version you are running against it (which in this case is 7.0.3).

One other note - I would highly suggest testing 7.0.6 as there are some fairly important updates between 7.0.3 and the latest version (7.0.6).

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks

2. 2 Posted by jperreault on 05 Dec, 2012 07:37 PM

Thanks Tim, I just restarted Cascade and everything went well. I wasn't sure if the Database update happened during installation or when Tomcat started, so thanks for your help.

Also, I mis-typed earlier, we had actually installed 7.0.5 but I'll take your advice and move to 7.0.6 before we upgrade production.

Thanks,

Jeff

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Tim on 05 Dec, 2012 07:58 PM

Sounds good, Jeff! Glad to hear everything went well.

Take care!

4. Tim closed this discussion on 05 Dec, 2012 07:58 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac