Mobile Redirect

ngish

10 Mar, 2011 04:56 PM

A mobile version of our website has been built and we would like to use the PHP (along with XML) script that is cited here: http://www.hannonhill.com/kb/cast/device-check/index.html# to redirect mobile browsers to it.

Here's what we want to happen:
1. A user opens our site index page, the script detects "oh, you're using a mobile device"
2. The server sends the mobile version of the site to the user's browser.

So, here's what I've done so far (might could be completely off track): I using a 'testbed file set' for this, by the way.

1. Create New Template that contains a for the PHP file (device-check-redirect.php) in the
  2. Created New Data Definition set using 'device-check-redirect-config-data-def.xml'
  3. Created New Configuration Set, so a new Template could be plugged into it that contains a for the PHP file (device-check-redirect.php) in the
  4. Created New Content Type which uses the Data Definition set created in step 2
  5. Placed the 'device-check-redirect-config.xml' in the same directory as 'index.html'

After going over these steps, I realize what I've done doesn't make much sense - especially replacing the data definition set that would normally allow for the default set which would display the regular content in the DEFAULT region. However, I'm stumped on this one for now.

Perhaps you guys could provide some insight.

Much Appreciated,
Nick

1. 1 Posted by ngish on 15 Mar, 2011 02:13 PM

Is there a way this can be done? We are on version 6.7.4 - 677c4

2. 2 Posted by Amy on 17 Mar, 2011 03:09 PM

Hi Nick,

Unfortunately, this script was posted in 2008 and may no longer be the best option for carrying out your mobile redirect.

A recent Cascade client to go live with the functionality you have described is http://www.juilliard.edu
    Their mobile site design was implemented by a partner company and I believe the browser detection and redirect was accomplished through the use of an .htaccess file. Hopefully doing a little research in that area will come up with an easier solution for you. Good luck!

3. 3 Posted by ngish on 17 Mar, 2011 03:20 PM

Amy, Thank you for your reply.

4. Tim closed this discussion on 21 Jun, 2011 03:44 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac