create a folder that only allows certain asset factories

vruppert

10 Feb, 2011 05:07 PM

Basically what we have now in our CMS thats on the way out are folders that only allow certain file types. Users can create an Image folder and then when a user uploads a file, they are restricted to only uploading .jpg, .png, .gif. We have another special folder users can create for document files as well. In Cascade, I understand I can create an asset factory for limiting file types, so I have that created. My problem is, how can I apply that to a folder so that a user can only upload images (or use the "Image" asset factory) in these special "Image-Only" folders? Is it possible to restrict use of an asset factory on a folder level? This would be easy if I had only one image folder but there are many and I plan on allowing users to create Image Folders anywhere.

1. 1 Posted by Ross on 18 Feb, 2011 09:43 PM

I've done some testing to see if there is a way to make this happen, but there is no way to restrict Write permissions on a folder to specific file types. The only suggestion I can make is to:

1. Allow write permissions on the folder to everyone you want to have the ability to create images in that folder
    2. Assign a workflow to the folder that has a series of steps to be followed if someone uploads a non-Image asset (e.g. allows administrator to delete)
    3. Create Asset Factories that have the Workflow Mode set to None, which will bypass the workflow assigned to the folder.
      • Set these asset factories to use the File Limit plugin and restrict file types to jpg, gif, etc.
      • This way the user has a bypass on the workflow via an Asset Factory that limits which filetypes can be uploaded
      • A drawback is that the user will not be able to copy into the folder or rename items within the folder without using the workflow
  2. Ross closed this discussion on 18 Feb, 2011 09:43 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac