Include one Data Definition in another Data Definition

sashaz

27 Jan, 2011 06:16 PM

Is it possible to include one Data Definition into another Data Definition? It doesn't look like it is supported.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tim on 27 Jan, 2011 08:18 PM

Hi,

It is not possible to include one Data Definition inside of another Data Definition. Part of the reason for this is that both Data Definitions could be using the same identifiers. I would recommend copying the larger Data Definition (using the Copy tab) and then adding the other fields you need to it in order to achieve the same effect.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions.

2. Tim closed this discussion on 27 Jan, 2011 08:18 PM.

3. Charlie Holder re-opened this discussion on 27 Jan, 2011 09:27 PM

4. 2 Posted by Charlie Holder on 27 Jan, 2011 09:27 PM

Depending on what you're trying to do, I would recommend abstracting out your "repeated Data Definition" into a block and possibly using a Block Chooser in both Data Definitions. That way if you find you have the need to change the Data Definition, you're only change a single Block Chooser than that something much more.

With a little more information I could make a more clear recommendation and explain that further.

5. 3 Posted by sashaz on 07 Mar, 2011 03:27 PM

I just saw this re-opened suggestion. Nice idea! Sounds like the way to go, except that our contributor level users seem to have a problem wrapping their heads around the concept of blocks. "If I need to edit a page, why cant I just click on the page then click 'edit'"... anyway, thanks for this suggestion, I'll probably use this info at some point in the future.

6. 4 Posted by Charlie Holder on 07 Mar, 2011 03:58 PM

If the Blocks in question are organized into a certain folder that only contain Blocks of that type, you could always grant a certain Group of users write access to that folder alone. It would kind of be a pain to go to two different places to update Page content and Block content, but at least they would have the ability to edit the Blocks.

7. 5 Posted by sashaz on 07 Mar, 2011 04:11 PM

We tried something similar, except it did not utilize the Block chooser in the Data Definition. The Pages were simply comprised of a Data Definition and one Block that was reused across many pages. The Block was put into a special folder, and we followed the same convention for organizing Blocks that were considered "content" versus "internal". It's the same thing you described except that there wasn't the option to assign different Blocks to a Page, but this scenario proved to be too confusing for some folks! But It is a powerful technique, especially combined with a Block chooser - I wasn't aware of the latter possibility; thanks!

8. 6 Posted by Charlie Holder on 07 Mar, 2011 04:17 PM

Always glad to help.

9. Charlie Holder closed this discussion on 07 Mar, 2011 04:17 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac