Linking Between Different Configurations

Will Pierce

26 Jan, 2011 04:11 PM

We are having trouble specifying which configuration we want a link to point to. For example: Say we have two pages, page1 and page2. Each of these pages has two output configurations: XML and PHP. Both pages use the same configuration set. We want to place a link in the XML output of page1 (page1.xml) to the PHP output of page2 (page2.php).

According to the knowledge base (http://www.hannonhill.com/kb/Linking/index.html#more-advanced-pseud...) we should be able to accomplish this by using [system-asset:configuration=PHP]/path[/system-asset]. This does not work as expected. Instead, the link to page2 in the XML output of page1 will always point to page2.xml.

We do have a workaround, which is to put each output configuration on a separate target. So we have target A, which outputs the PHP configuration and target B which outputs the XML. In this scenario, the links in page2.xml will always point to the PHP configuration since it is the default. This is problematic because it is fairly inflexible. We can either link to the same configuration as the output file, or the default configuration for the linked page, but we can't specify a 3rd configuration (PDF for example). Setting up a different target for each configuration is problematic as well, because we have a development, testing and production server for each site, and therefore have to set up 3 new targets every time.

We are running Cascade Server version 6.7.4. I can provide any other configuration details or code examples if needed.

1. 1 Posted by Lee Roberson (F... on 26 Jan, 2011 09:46 PM

Lee Roberson (Function Digital LLC)'s Avatar

Hi will,

I think we reported this as broken many months ago and support promised to fix the documentation. I believe they said that format is no longer supported, or there is some syntax problem with the way it was documented. I'm not sure if they ever fixed the doc.

You mentioned targets, a characteristic of the global site. Does the target version of the system-asset tag also not work for you?

We use the following a lot but it only works for same-page links.
    Printer-friendly version

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Tim on 28 Mar, 2011 07:39 PM

It does look like there was a syntax issue in the documentation for this particular type of link. It should be noted that the link needs to look something like this (notice the syntax of the closing tag):

[system-asset:configuration=xml]/contact[/system-asset:configuration]

The old documentation had an error with the closing tag - it was missing 'configuration'.

I was able to get this to work in my local instance of 6.7.6. I linked from page1 HTML to page2 XML. I realize it has been a while since you originally posted here, but please let me know if you are still running into problems.

3. Tim closed this discussion on 21 Jun, 2011 03:41 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac