cross site internal linking

Jeff

13 Dec, 2010 11:15 PM

Trying to cross site link within the tinymce editor... using an internal link. Works within the cms, but when published the link stays within the same site. Any ideas?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tim on 14 Dec, 2010 04:51 PM

Hi Jeff.

Cross-site links are constructed using the Site URL. Can you edit the Site you are linking to and verify that it has the correct Site URL? Assuming it does, once published, your page should contain a link pointing to this URL.

Let me know what you find.

2. 2 Posted by Jeff on 14 Dec, 2010 08:12 PM

The following is what happens:
    1) Edit page content and highlight area to link and select link (on the tinymce editor)
    2) Select internal, link to page in another site within cascade
    3) link shows up as href="/othersite.url.com/page"
    4) submit page, then preview in cms... looks fine, link goes to other site page
    5) publish, review it out online... the link is pointing to url.com/page instead of othersite.url.com/page

The site does have the correct url. Am I missing something else?

3. 3 Posted by Penny on 21 Dec, 2010 05:37 PM

I am sorry but I need a tad bit more information.

What version of Cascade are you running? What is the Site URL within your Site Management area of your other site that you are trying to link to? Also, what is the name of your Site that you are trying to Cross Site Link to?

Your url should look like the following in Cascade Site://SiteName/path/to/page when you click on HTML view on the WYSIWYG. In the Link editor it should appear like SiteName:path/to/page.

4. 4 Posted by Jeff on 21 Dec, 2010 07:15 PM

Cascade v.6.7.1

Trying to add a link on http://sub.site.com/about that goes to another site inside the cms that is located at http://www.site.com/map.

Problem that happens is that when the http://sub.site.com/about page is published the link that is suppose to go the www.site.com/map ends up actually going to sub.site.com/map

In the WYSIWYG, html mode, the link created shows up as href='site.com/map'
    (site.com is the name of the site in the cms)

5. 5 Posted by Penny on 22 Dec, 2010 03:33 PM

Can you go to the Site Management pane and give me the Site URL for each of those sites?

Swirly Icon -> Site Management -> Choose Site -> URL

6. 6 Posted by Jeff on 22 Dec, 2010 04:19 PM

I have already tried this, but just tried again and it still doesn't work. Whether the site is setup in the site management with a url or not, the result is that it won't cross site link :(

7. 7 Posted by Penny on 27 Dec, 2010 03:48 PM

Hey Jeff,

I am trying to replicate your issue on my 6.7.1 version of Cascade but I am not getting the same issues as you. There is an issue that was fixed in 6.7.1, but that had more to do with External Linking. Here is that bug.

I am not totally convinced that it is the same issue you are experiencing but if it is, the issue will be corrected with an upgrade.

I am including some screen shots of what happens when I cross-site link.
    The first is what I see in my embed link editor popup from the WYSIWYG. It is important to note that even if it is a cross-site link, it is still considered an internal link (you mentioned it was earlier).
    The second is what I see when I click on the HTML button on the WYSIWYG.
    The third shows that I can not save my Site in the Site Management area without the URL being filled in.

I am sorry if some of this information is redundant.

If you get me the Site URL that you have filled into each site and also let me know if you are filling this link into a Data Definition WYSIWYG or the default WYSIWYG, I will be happy to try to make my instance as close to yours for replicating purposes.

Thanks so much!

8. 8 Posted by Jeff on 30 Dec, 2010 07:26 PM

Attached are some snaps. In order of inserting the link, verifying the link is correct, and then what the link looks like when published.

9. 9 Posted by Penny on 30 Dec, 2010 08:19 PM

The screen shots are a great help. Thank you! I see what you are saying now.

I think the main confusion came from me thinking that you were linking across Sites within Cascade. Assuming that you meant the Cascade term, Site. I see that you are in the Global area and actually linking to another page within a different folder within the Global area. That different folder being your site container. The Global area is different from what I was describing earlier.

I do not think that what you are trying to do is possible within the Global area. That is part of the reason that Sites in Cascade were created, so that users could manage multiple Sites and link across them. Here is a great article about sites: http://www.hannonhill.com/kb/Sites/. I think in the Global area, you have to make an external link to where the page will end up being published.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

10. Ross closed this discussion on 07 Mar, 2011 03:43 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac