Best method for site group assignments

rrhill

08 Dec, 2010 05:03 PM

Users with a site administrator role cannot assign group permissions within their site(s) (say for defining folder access or access to destinations). They can assign access to users, but only for users that belong to groups of which the admin is a member. Couple this with the fact that nested groups are not possible in Cascade and it makes giving site administrators the ability to control access to their own resources tough to do.

You can make a Global role that provides limited access to provide some of this, sort of, by allowing only the following:

Administration Area Abilities
Access:

• Access the Administration area: Enabled
  • Access Users, Groups and Roles: Enabled

Security Area Abilities
Users:

• View users that share groups with current user: Enabled

Groups:

• View groups to which current user belongs: Enabled

Adding this role to the site admin user's site role will provide them the ability to assign groups. But they must be a member of every group they need to access. Plus, if they are an admin for multiple sites, they can assign users or groups from any site to assets in any site.

Is there a better way to allow a site admin the ability to assign groups/users access to assets for just the site they are administering?

1. 1 Posted by rrhill on 23 Feb, 2011 06:08 PM

Follow up: I have seen no response to this. I have had a user send my some model code that leverages web services to do some/all of this. And I am willing to work in that direction. However, I still would like to know if there is a best method for allowing a site administrator the ability to perform these functions without using web services or giving them system admin rights? It would seem this is something Cascade Server itself should offer as basic functionality in the sites model (not something clients should have to develop on their own). Allowing groups within groups would help. But have a mechanism within Cascade's site model would be great. Or, if it has to be Web Services, I would look to Hannon Hill to offer this, as well.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Tim on 23 Feb, 2011 09:55 PM

Hi,

I tend to agree with you here. It would definitely be nice if Cascade had a better way for Site Admins to administer users and groups for their specific sites. I believe this feature request is related to your post. Please be sure to vote/comment on that idea when you have the chance!

Thanks

3. Tim closed this discussion on 21 Jun, 2011 03:37 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac