Can the User Create a Block?

Rick

27 Jun, 2016 08:03 PM

First, I hope that this wasn't already asked - I spent 20 minutes searching and didn't find anything. And secondly, this is my first experience in Cascade, so I hope this isn't something so patently easy that everyone just knows it and I look the fool. :)

I have a situation where the page will be a standard left nav / main content layout. So I have my "page" (meaning template, format, data def, etc) set up to allow the user to edit/create the main content. The left nav is an associated block.

The thing is, we want to give the end user the ability to create their own left nav without having to go through the whole main content thing. So my first question is, how can I set up a page such that when they are finished it creates a *block* and not a whole page? And secondly, how can I give the user the ability to choose a block to be included in their new content page?

I should point out that I can create what I want - but it is in a full page format. (I used the page as a baseline). So what I want is to be able to excise just the left nav and dump it in a folder as a block.

Is this possible? Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by Rick on 29 Jun, 2016 02:32 PM

OK, I've since discovered that I overlooked the Block Chooser when setting up a Data Definition. So giving the user the ability to choose from multiple blocks appears to be doable.

However, as we don't have any users that we really want poking around in the raw html, we still need a way to allow the user to use an interface () as in, a data definition) to create a block.

2. 2 Posted by Penny on 29 Jun, 2016 06:30 PM

Hi Rick,

So one thing to note is that a lot of times we will make the left navigation automated based on folder structure using an Index Block and XSLT/Velocity format. This allows us to generate the navigation based on folder structure.

If you are wanting users to "build" the navigation, you could attach a Data Definition to a block. There is a chooser above the WYSIWYG for Data Definition. You could then handle this block one of two ways. You could have users drop it in the appropriate folder and then using an Index Block and XSLT/Velocity format programatically get the block named "left-navigation" for inclusion in the sidebar. OR you could have users attach it to the page using a block chooser. I hope this information helps. I am happy to elaborate on either of these paths.

3. 3 Posted by Penny on 29 Jun, 2016 06:31 PM

Also, have you joined any of our monthly workshops for newer members to Cascade CMS? It may be quite informative, if not.

Best,
    Penny

4. 4 Posted by Rick on 29 Jun, 2016 06:35 PM

I knew it was possible to generate the left nav, but they specifically didn't want that. Go figure :)

I didn't know if they could build one (without raw html). I'll check into the options you mentioned - they definitely sound like what I am looking for. Thank you!

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Tim on 07 Jul, 2016 02:58 PM

Hey Rick,

I'm glad Penny was able to help out here. Let us know if you have any additional questions!

Thanks

6. Tim closed this discussion on 07 Jul, 2016 02:58 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac