Attempting to make a blog post

webadmin

29 Jan, 2016 09:58 PM

I'm attempting to write a blog system for our institution, and I'm wanting to make it as user friendly as possible. What I would like to do, ideally, is have an asset factory item that allows a user to click something like "New Blog Post". It would have spaces for them to list the title, author, upload an image, and write the blog post. I'd like it to make a folder that has the image and the page inside it. Is something like this possible?

1. 1 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 29 Jan, 2016 10:01 PM

Hi,

This type of setup is definitely possible. We actually have a couple of example Sites you can download and import into your Cascade instance. I believe they should be able to offer a good starting point:

We also have a webinar available for you to watch that discusses setting up blogging in Cascade.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by webadmin on 05 Feb, 2016 08:18 PM

I've ended up doing a more generic system... the blog posts you were showing me look like they're very concentrated on having comments, and we're intentionally trying to prevent comments on the site. I've got a rough outline of it now, but what I'd like to do is be able to read variables out of the address of the page, so that I don't have to make a new page for every year that we have. Basically, what I want to do is to read a year variable out of the URL, and then read the associated index for that year. Is there a way to do this programatically, or do I need to manually choose the index for each page?

3. 3 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 09 Feb, 2016 02:05 PM

Hi,

the blog posts you were showing me look like they're very concentrated on having comments, and we're intentionally trying to prevent comments on the site

While the commenting is in there, it is only a small component of these sites and should be pretty easy to remove. I believe the one example site uses Disqus, which I think is just a code snippet added to the pages.

I've got a rough outline of it now, but what I'd like to do is be able to read variables out of the address of the page, so that I don't have to make a new page for every year that we have. Basically, what I want to do is to read a year variable out of the URL, and then read the associated index for that year. Is there a way to do this programatically, or do I need to manually choose the index for each page?

Generally, there are index pages for the year and month landings which will list out those specific articles. This is required if you would like for your users to be able to navigate to those landings (e.g. www.example.com/news/2016 would load the year landing for 2016 that lists articles for the year).

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

4. Tim closed this discussion on 26 Feb, 2016 09:54 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac