restrict access to one folder in a site

Jory Keller

25 Jan, 2016 08:42 PM

I realize it has something to do with the way we set up user roles, but when I started working at my university's web department, they already had a routine in place for adding new users, which they do exactly the same way for everyone. Thus, I am not real clear about what the different user roles are, despite having read the KB info on them.

All of our users outside the web department are given "Manager" roles for whichever site they belong to. They also all belong to sitename_adminstrators group since we haven't really done anything with workflows. (Everyone here seems to hate that word after coming from another CMS that made it really confusing and difficult.)

I am building small sites for faculty members to house their CV's, courses, schedules, etc. We are using Bootstrap and have templates that require custom navigation. I want the faculty members to be able to add and update pages and folders on their sites, but I do not want them able to edit the navigation.

We keep all of the navigation blocks in a specific "nav" folder. Is there a way to restrict access to just this folder so that they can have free reign of their site without having to worry about them messing up the navigation? If there is, how do I need to set up users or modify the roles of existing users?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tim on 25 Jan, 2016 08:56 PM

Hi Jory,

We keep all of the navigation blocks in a specific "nav" folder. Is there a way to restrict access to just this folder so that they can have free reign of their site without having to worry about them messing up the navigation?

Yes. You can do this with Access Rights. When you have a moment, try the following:

• As an Administrator, navigate to the 'nav' Folder you mentioned above
    • Click the More tab and then select Access
    • For the All field, select 'None'
    • Then, if you do want to allow a select group of folks to have read or write access, you can use the additional options seen below that field (you can add individual users and/or groups with read/write)

Last but not least, you need to make sure that the individuals accessing the Site have a Site Role that does not allow for them to 'Bypass all permissions checks'.

Let me know if this helps!

2. 2 Posted by Jory Keller on 25 Jan, 2016 09:05 PM

Tim,

Thanks for the super quick response! I tried what you suggested and then clicked on "Assume this user's identity" to test it out and I was still able to edit contents of the folder in question. I also tried restricting just the nav block and was still able to edit it after assuming that user's identity.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the last thing you said about site roles that allow "bypass all permission checks." I'm not sure how to check that. I did, however, get an error message that said "You do not have permission..." when I, still assuming her identity, tried to go back to the Administration - Users page.

3. 3 Posted by Jory Keller on 25 Jan, 2016 09:09 PM

Ah, I found it. Ok so, as I mentioned earlier, the new users are created with the sitename_administrators group and the role: Manager.

Manager has "bypass all permission checks" disabled. But sitename_administrators has it enabled.

If I change her to sitename_author will she still be able to add/edit/publish content?

4. 4 Posted by Jory Keller on 25 Jan, 2016 09:24 PM

Ok, I found that, too. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Tim on 25 Jan, 2016 09:31 PM

No problem at all! So, it sounds like you were able to get things working as expected, correct? Just let me know if there are still any parts to this where you might need help!

6. 6 Posted by Jory Keller on 26 Jan, 2016 03:51 PM

Well, I was able to find what capabilities each role has. I think we will need to create a custom role for this purpose, so I will return and provide an update once we have achieved and tested that.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Tim on 26 Jan, 2016 03:57 PM

Sounds good, Jory. Feel free to comment back here if you end up having any additional questions. Thanks!

8. Tim closed this discussion on 26 Jan, 2016 03:57 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac