Update Cascade file from server

William Marquez

02 Dec, 2015 03:50 PM

My organization uses Cascade for our department's website, but some of the developers have used WinSCP to update the files directly on the server and bypassed Cascade. Now Cascade has many files that are out of sync with the version that is live on the server. Is there a way to import the files from the server into Cascade instead of having to update each file individually?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tim on 02 Dec, 2015 04:02 PM

Hi William,

Unfortunately, Cascade isn't going to be aware of which files are in sync as there isn't any communication from the web server back to the application.

When you say 'files', are these comprised of web pages (.html, .php, etc) or are they actual file assets like images, css, pdfs? Both? Depending on your answer, I'll see if I might be able to provide some recommendations.

Thanks

2. 2 Posted by William Marquez on 02 Dec, 2015 04:36 PM

The files are mostly web pages. There are a handful of images, but I don't need to get those directly from the server. I can upload them manually one by one the way it would work if I was updating the page they're supposed to be on.

I'm mostly just looking for an automated process for downloading web page (html, php, etc) files from the server into Cascade.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Tim on 02 Dec, 2015 04:45 PM

Thanks for the information, William. I suppose one thing you could try would be our Universal Migration Tool which uses web services to bring in static content from web pages into the system. The only potential issue I see here is that if you have a page on your site named 'pageA.html' (which has been updated via WinSCP recently) and also have a corresponding page in Cascade named 'pageA' within the same parent directory, I believe the tool will create a new asset named 'pageA1' since 'pageA' already exists (as opposed to updating 'pageA').

If you decide to try this out, you'll want to download the release that is compatible with the version of Cascade you are using.

Let me know if you think that might work for you.

Thanks

4. Tim closed this discussion on 11 Dec, 2015 06:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac