Nav not pulling correct links

rene.echavarri

12 Oct, 2010 06:39 PM

Hi all, I'm trying to finish up our website for launch in the next few days and we've discovered a new issue. Our navigation is set up to expand via an accordion. When you go two levels into the system everything works fine, but when you add that third level, all heck breaks loose. I think I can get a work around for part of the third-level weirdness, but I need some solutions as to why my nav isn't pulling the right link.

Any help or ideas why? I'd be EXTREMELY appreciative!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tim on 12 Oct, 2010 06:54 PM

Hi Rene,

It's difficult to tell without actually seeing it in your instance and knowing what 'all heck breaking loose' means :), but I would recommend checking the following things:

• Do the items that are supposed to appear as part of the third level of the navigation exist within the Index Block for your navigation region? If not, check to make sure that:

• The assets (and their parent containers) are included in indexing (this option is located under the System tab)
      • The Max Rendered Assets option for your Index Block is set to a value large enough to contain all of the assets in your folder hierarchy which you are indexing
      • The Max Assets in Index Blocks option in the global Content Preferences is set to a value large enough to contain all of the assets in your folder hierarchy which you are indexing

If the items that are supposed to appear in the third level of your navigation do appear in your Index Block XML, there is likely a problem with XSLT or Velocity logic that is being applied in order to transform the XML content.

Let me know what you find.

2. 2 Posted by rene.echavarri on 12 Oct, 2010 07:27 PM

I suppose I could have been more specific with my "all heck breaking loose" ... I got a little histrionic there!

Mainly what happens is that at the third level, only that folder's items show up in the nav along with any external links from the root folder. Also, it appears any links at the third level link back to the main root index.

Any thoughts, Tim?

3. 3 Posted by rene.echavarri on 12 Oct, 2010 08:07 PM

Hey Tim, I believe my first two options are ok. I'm still relatively new at checking index boxes and XML and stuff, but I do believe there is a problem with the XSLT that's not pulling in the information quite right.

I messed with the index block a little bit this morning trying to get it to work (and how i got some of the items to show up in my nav), but when I restore back to its original state, those pages lose the nav completely. Is it possible that the XSLT is dying when it doesn't know how to go more than 3 layers in from the root? How would I fix that?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Tim on 12 Oct, 2010 08:23 PM

Hi Rene,

I agree that it sounds like it's an issue with the XSLT Format. If you want, go ahead and attach the Index Block XML and the XSLT Format to this post. This way, someone on this forum might have some time to look over the code to see if there are any glaring issues.

5. 5 Posted by rene.echavarri on 12 Oct, 2010 08:30 PM

Hey Tim, attached is the XSLT and a screencap of the Index Block (that's what i was supposed to do, right?). If anyone can help me out, i'd be appreciative. I'm pulling my hair out here!

6. 6 Posted by Ross on 14 Oct, 2010 02:00 AM

Rene,

I took a look at your XSLT, and before I take to pulling it apart I'd like to get a sense of exactly what the expected behavior is. Could you summarize for me what you expect to see at:
    1. Level 0 - pages that have only the Base Folder as a parent folder (these pages might have no left nav at all?)
    2. Level 1 - pages that have a single parent folder
    3. Level 2 - pages that have two parent folders
    4. Etc.

I just want to make sure I understand 100% where this XSLT is supposed to take us. If you happen to have static HTML mockups of the way the nav is supposed to look, please include code examples/attach screenshots!

7. 7 Posted by rene.echavarri on 14 Oct, 2010 02:23 PM

Ross, here we go!

I'll include an example of the mis-linking that's going on. Check out http://web.tamuk.edu/academics/

If you go to the bottom of the nav bar on the right, you'll see an element for "catalog of courses"; the dark blue hits the right location (web.tamuk.edu/academics/catalog), but in the accordion, the third level nav, "2010-2012 Undergraduate Catalog" links back to the main index of the website, where it should be hitting http://web.tamuk.edu/academics/catalog/2010-2012/index.html

Does that help?

8. 8 Posted by Ross on 14 Oct, 2010 03:11 PM

I think the issue is that you're trying to use the non-existent system-folder/link element on line 94 of your XSLT. I'd recommend that you make line 94 read:

<a href="site://{site}{path}/index">

This issue is documented, and until it is fixed, creating one's own cross-site link as shown above is the best work-around. I'll go ahead and resolve this thread, but let me know if this doesn't solve the problem.

9. Ross closed this discussion on 14 Oct, 2010 03:11 PM.

10. rene.echavarri re-opened this discussion on 14 Oct, 2010 03:18 PM

11. 9 Posted by rene.echavarri on 14 Oct, 2010 03:18 PM

I just dropped it in and I think that was the trick.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I was about to lose my hair over that one!

12. Ross closed this discussion on 14 Oct, 2010 03:23 PM.

13. Ross re-opened this discussion on 15 Oct, 2010 01:51 AM

14. 10 Posted by Ross on 15 Oct, 2010 01:51 AM

Rene,

The issue of the missing <link> element has been resolved in Cascade 6.7.3.

Cheers,

Ross

15. 11 Posted by rene.echavarri on 20 Oct, 2010 09:05 PM

Ross, when we update to 6.73, will I need to do anything to correct the hack you showed me? Or can I just let it go as is?

16. 12 Posted by Penny on 22 Oct, 2010 06:13 PM

That "hack" will still work because it isn't completely a hack. That is how you would construct cross site links if you were in the HTML view of the wysiwyg. You can always make a link from one site to another by saying "site://SiteName/PagePath". The link element just simplifies the process in XSLT/Velocity by providing it constructed for you.

If you feel more comfortable when you have performed the upgrade, you can change href="site://{site}{path}/index" to href="{link}". The other way will always continue to work though.

17. Tim closed this discussion on 26 Oct, 2010 02:24 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac