DeleteAndUnpublish + publish-set workflow

jonahlyn

07 Oct, 2010 10:42 PM

I have a page (the index page) displaying the contents of an index block that indexes pages of a certain content type and displays links to those pages in a list. I'm trying to create a workflow that will fire when any page created using that content type is deleted from the system will unpublish from the web server and also re-publish the index page so the recently deleted page will be removed from the list.

I have the unpublish step working by means of a DeleteAndUnpublish trigger. The next step tries to re-publish the index page via a publish-set trigger but it never re-publishes. I'm confused because I have the exact reverse workflow working that automatically publishes a new page and then publishes the index page.

I tried adding a merge trigger in several different places which didn't seem to have any effect. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I've attached both workflows to this discussion.

Thanks.
Jonahlyn

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tim on 11 Oct, 2010 03:51 PM

Hi Jonahlyn,

I played around with this and ran into the same problem that you did. The problem here isn't with your workflow XML. Instead, it seems to be a current limitation of the application.

I'll try to explain further. When a publish set trigger fires, it will fire the publish set specified in the workflow parameters. Before it does this, the workflow needs to know which Site to look in in order to find the publish set. To find out which Site context we're in, the workflow looks to the asset which is currently in workflow. In this particular case, that asset has already been deleted (by the deleteAndUnpublish trigger). So, when the workflow tries to check the current asset's siteId, it fails to do so and thus fails to fire the publish set.

I've created an improvement item to our project here.

Unfortunately, I can't think of any good workarounds at this time. You may wish to send an email to a user when the asset is deleted so that they can manually publish out the related publish set.

Apologies for the inconvenience. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by jonahlyn on 11 Oct, 2010 05:13 PM

Okay. Thanks for looking at this.

3. Tim closed this discussion on 11 Oct, 2010 05:28 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac