access content ownership

Rob

04 Aug, 2015 05:40 PM

I'd like to make use of the new content ownership field. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a standard meta-data field that can be pulled into a format. Using both index blocks and web services, I can't see the content owner of a particular asset. Where is this information stored and is there a way to get a hold of it outside of the content ownership report?

1. 1 Posted by Wing Ming Chan on 04 Aug, 2015 06:11 PM

Hi Rob,

You can use a format (Velocity or XSLT) to access the database and pull out the information from cxml_foldercontent. This does require Java programming. Let me know if you are interested.

Wing

2. 2 Posted by Rob on 04 Aug, 2015 06:14 PM

Thanks Wing,

Yes, if you have an example line of code in either (or both), that would be great. I have a few subsites that still use XSLT formats.

Rob

3. 3 Posted by Wing Ming Chan on 04 Aug, 2015 06:21 PM

Rob,

Please check Java and Formats and see if the discussion makes sense to you.

Wing

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Tim on 04 Aug, 2015 07:21 PM

Hi Rob,

In addition to Wing's suggestion, I went ahead and created a feature request on our Idea Exchange that I encourage you to vote on here. I sent you an invite to that forum so let me know if you have any trouble logging in.

Thanks!

5. 5 Posted by Rob on 04 Aug, 2015 09:19 PM

Thanks Tim and Wing for the help.

I was hoping that this could be accessed in the same way that other system metadata is.

Velocity example:
    $currentPage.metadata.author

XSLT example:
    <xsl:value-of select="author"/>

The above will return the author fields, but I can't see a similar field for the new content owner. I've used web services to spit out all the data (and metadata) associated with a Page and Folder, but there isn't an object for this new field.

Wing, I had a look through your extensive documentation (good job). I'm not sure it'll be useful to me as the direct database queries are reliant on your local java classes. Thanks though for the info.

6. 6 Posted by Wing Ming Chan on 05 Aug, 2015 02:41 PM

Rob,

Yes, this approach requires local Java classes, as I pointed out. But these classes are extremely simple and easy to handle. Starting something like this for a single table will be an overkill. But once a database connection has been established, you can retrieve anything you want. Besides data retrieval, I can also use formats to modify assets, to invoke web service scripts, and to send emails.

Last year I built a very powerful PHP web service API. But the owner information is not available to web services, as you pointed out. I see the Java component as an important complement to web services; that is, to do what web services cannot. And direct access to the database is a lot faster than web services.

Wing

7. 7 Posted by Blizzard, Rober... on 07 Aug, 2015 10:08 PM

Thanks again Wing. I’m not an administrator of our cascade implementation so won’t be leading a home build API, but I’m grateful for your thoughts (and incredible documentation).

Robert Blizzard
    Web Designer/Analyst
    SOS - Student and Enrolment Services Division
    University of Saskatchewan
    Ph: (306) 966.7595

8. Tim closed this discussion on 10 Aug, 2015 02:35 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac