Indexing a Sub-folder

Kris

06 Oct, 2010 03:06 PM

Hi, can anyone help me with what I believe to be an easy issue but can't seem to figure it out. I have the following folder structure:

Folder
      Page
      Image Folder

I am trying to index the Image Folder so that I can build a gallery in the page that is a sibling to the Image Folder. All of the different combinations of indexing options I select leave out those files. And all of the folders and files are set to allow them to be indexed.

Thanks in advance!
Kris

1. 1 Posted by Brent Arrington on 06 Oct, 2010 03:31 PM

You can explicitly set Image Folder as your Index Folder when creating the Index Block, then set the rendering behavior to Render Normally, starting at indexed folder. Doing so will cause the block to always render the contents of your Image Folder, specifically, regardless of the calling page for the index block.

2. 2 Posted by Kris on 06 Oct, 2010 03:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Brent. Now let me complicate it a little more. One of my contributors will be creating these sets of folders and pages as multiple galleries and I don't want to create an index block for every gallery. I want it to be automated so that there is no need for intervention from me when creating a new gallery.

Is there any way to set up a more general Index Block that I would apply to a region in that page's template so that when they create this new gallery, it automatically knows that the images will be in that images sub-folder and index them without me having to create it?

Thanks!

3. 3 Posted by Brent Arrington on 06 Oct, 2010 05:22 PM

If you use the Start at the current page with folder hierarchy, siblings, and also render forward option, this will give you results relative to each index page and also drill down into the sibling images directory. You just need to make sure that you set an appropriate value for Depth of Index

4. 4 Posted by Kris on 06 Oct, 2010 05:33 PM

That's the way I though it should work but it seems like when ever I use the Start at the current page with folder hierarchy, siblings, and also render forward option, it seems to always start indexing at the base folder no matter if I have an Index Folder set or not. I'm not sure what's going on here. Thanks again for the help! Any other ideas?

5. 5 Posted by Brent Arrington on 06 Oct, 2010 05:40 PM

It will start at the Base Folder -- or, rather, it will work its way back to the Base Folder -- since it is including the entire folder hierarchy; however, you can identify the current folder & from there, drill down into the images child folder in your format. That is the only option I can think of, assuming you want one index block that can be used for all of these "gallery" structures.

6. 6 Posted by Kris on 06 Oct, 2010 05:52 PM

OK, that is what I have been trying to do but it doesn't ever seem to drill down into the images folder, just back to the base folder. I'll keep playing with it. Thanks for the help!

7. 7 Posted by Brent Arrington on 06 Oct, 2010 05:54 PM

Actually, you could also use Render normally, starting at the indexed folder and leave the Index Folder field unspecified. That will give you only the contents of the current page's parent folder (which would include the sibling images directory).

8. 8 Posted by Brent Arrington on 06 Oct, 2010 06:05 PM

If it helps, I've attached a screen shot of my index block settings and the resulting XML when I apply this block to a sibling page of the images folder.

9. 9 Posted by Kris on 06 Oct, 2010 06:13 PM

Well, your screenshot must have cleared what ever stupid mistake out of my head that I was making because now it works perfectly!! Thanks for all of your help!

10. Tim closed this discussion on 06 Oct, 2010 06:39 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac