Redirect

Elisa

08 May, 2015 05:53 PM

Hi; I'd like to shorten the path to a page; instead of it being something like myuniversity.edu/undergraduate-students/advising/New_Students/index.html I'd really like it to be myuniversity.edu/newstudents

I've looked through previous discussions and never seen a step-by-step way to do this. I'm savvy to a point but once people start talking Apache servers and such my eyes glaze over. That said, I'm up for trying whatever I have access to. ;) I need this ASAP of course, since we need to direct students to it (eek) tomorrow!

1. 1 Posted by Eric L. Epps on 09 May, 2015 02:40 AM

If you have PHP, you can create myuniversity.edu/newstudents/index.php with contents:

<?php
    header("Location: http://myuniversity.edu/undergraduate-students/advising/New_Students/index.html");
    die();
    ?>

2. 2 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 11 May, 2015 01:37 PM

Hi Elisa,

To echo Eric's response, you can also add a <meta> tag to the page's <head> region to redirect the user. See the examples towards the bottom of the page.

Alternatively, if you do no wish to maintain two separate pages, you could use something like Apache's mod_rewrite to create an alias and/or for the page. Here is a website I found that describes this a bit, but there are most likely other examples out there if you search for something like "Apache vanity url".

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

3. Tim closed this discussion on 27 May, 2015 07:53 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac