Manage multiple sizes of images for use in a news item (data definition) page

Ross

30 Sep, 2010 08:42 PM

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Weiss, Michael weissm@northwood.edu wrote:

I have a couple of simple questions regarding news items.

I’ve built a news article data definition, and used a block to access some meta information such as “start-date” for display on the article pages.

However, I’m having difficulty deciding how images will work.

Typically we require at least one image with each news item. We currently use a server side image resize tool that will resize the images on the fly to any size we need. However, with Cascade, doing this will not resize the images in preview mode, so I think that this would be a last resort option.

What I would like to do is allow users to upload/select images easily while creating a news item. I have found that the resize images plugin does not work for data definition images.

I guess my question all boils down to; What is the standard for dealing with news article images?

1. 1 Posted by Ross on 30 Sep, 2010 08:42 PM

Michael,

The "Create Resized Images" DD plugin doesn't work if you're uploading an image while editing a page with data definition, but you can train users to upload images before they start editing a page. In that case, the plugin would generate several sizes of images that could be picked in the data definition OR they could pick the original image and your XSLT/Velocity could rewrite size-specific names (generated by the plugin) for different regions of the page.

Will that help in your circumstances?

Ross

2. Charlie Holder closed this discussion on 05 Aug, 2011 09:21 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac