Index and folder name conflict

dunlopc

30 Sep, 2010 02:43 AM

I have rebuilt an htm page using an index block and velocity formatting. Page is good to go. However, when I went to rename the page from a temporary name to the existing page name I ran into a problem. I discovered that the issue is that the folder name and page name are the same. The easy fix would be to rename the page something else. However, the existing page name is over 10 years old and has a very high volume of traffic. I would like to avoid having to rename it and I am wondering if there is a way to get around it.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tim on 30 Sep, 2010 06:26 PM

Hi,

The only other way around this would be to rename the containing folder. If you decide to go this route, you'll likely want to either:

• Unpublish the entire folder (but DO NOT DELETE)
    • Change the folder name
    • Publish your entire site

OR

• Change the folder name
    • Publish your entire site
    • Manually remove the orphaned files from your web server (that reside under the 'old' folder name)

This should ensure that all links on your site have been updated to point to the 'new' folder.

If you decide to make a change like this, I would recommend creating a backup of your database beforehand just so that you can always restore a copy should anything go wrong.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

2. 2 Posted by dunlopc on 01 Oct, 2010 03:07 PM

Why can't the page and folder have the same name?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Tim on 04 Oct, 2010 03:00 PM

There are a couple of different reasons for this behavior. The first one is that some remote servers do not allow for a file to have the same name as the parent folder. The second problem deals with linking in Cascade Server. If a user were to link to either the page or the folder, the system wouldn't know which asset the link was really intended to point to.

Hope this helps to clear things up.

4. Charlie Holder closed this discussion on 05 Aug, 2011 09:26 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac