Keep Link field blank in asset factory with base asset

c-siems

29 Jan, 2015 07:58 PM

How do I keep the Link field blank in an External Asset base asset?

If you use the Default External Link to create a base asset, the Link field is required. Is there a way to temporarily remove the requirement? Conversely, is there a way to attach a metadata set to a custom External Link asset factory - with or without a base asset?

Some users forget to change Link field if it's filled in for them when they create an External Link asset based on my asset factory (one with metadata).

The metadata is there to supply a "show in navigation" yes/no value. Sometimes they want the External Link in the navigation, sometimes they don't.

1. 1 Posted by c-siems on 29 Jan, 2015 07:59 PM

The first line should read
    How do I keep the Link field blank in an External Link base asset?

2. 2 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 30 Jan, 2015 03:14 PM

Hi,

There would be no way to create a base External Link asset with an empty link field within the application, but you could certainly pre-fill with http:// and ensure your Formats filter out External Links who's link value is http://.

The only way to attach a different Metadata Set to an External Link would be to create a base asset, so as you indicated, you would need to fill in the link field.

That being said, you may be able to use Web Services to generate the base asset without a link field as well as assign the different Metadata Set, because it appears the WSDL is not requiring the linkURL element. This would limit you to performing the create/update using Web Services, because any subsequent edit through the UI would force you to fill in the field.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

3. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 24 Feb, 2015 09:13 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac