Cascade Server question...

Ramacciotti, John P

28 Jan, 2015 05:45 PM

Hello,

I am working on a new site for our customer that has a requirement that we provide a report of changes made to the content. Is there a way to have Cascade Server produce logging information in a report form that is customizable to display changes made to content with information like
1. Person who made the change
2. What changes were made
3. Date changes were made
4. Link to new page where the changes were made

Thank you,

- John Ramacciotti
Sandia National Laboratories
Ph. 505.284.6902
Cell. 505.463.0733

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email blocked].

1. 1 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 29 Jan, 2015 02:15 PM

Hi John,

Actual reporting of the changed content would not be possible, because this information is not readily available other than within the versions area due to the complexity of the various relationships involved with versioning.

That being said, you can certainly report on the other 3 items you listed. There are various ways you could go about generating such reports:

• Within Cascade Server using Blocks and Formats
    • Using a Web Services to generate a report outside of Cascade Server
    • Querying the database directly

For the first option, we are actually working on some examples of implementing such reports within Cascade Server, but we have not yet finished yet. I can certainly keep you in the loop once the examples are ready.

For the Web Services option, we have a few clients who have developed quite extensive scripts to make reporting easier. One such client is Wing Ming Chan, who has developed his own Web Services library that he is more than willing to share to the Cascade community. I have included him as a watcher to this discussion so perhaps he can follow up with you if you are interested in going this direction.

Finally, the database option. This might be less ideal as it requires direct access to your Cascade Server database, but it can certainly be done. If you provide a list of what types of assets you want to report on as well as what information you need (ie path, site, id, name, who modified it, etc) I'd be happy to try and come up with a query for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by Wing Ming Chan on 29 Jan, 2015 04:21 PM

Just to add a few more words to the last two options mentioned by Ryan.

1. Using web services to generate reports of audits can be time-consuming. To load such a report page, which should be built outside Cascade because it contains a web service program, it may take minutes.

2. Querying the database directly can be done inside Cascade, using both Java and Velocity. This is a lot faster, and the page can be built inside Cascade. But it requires Java programming.

Wing

3. 3 Posted by Ramacciotti, Jo... on 29 Jan, 2015 04:36 PM

Thank you for the response and listing the options we have. I will probably try to query the database directly and generate a report outside Cascade server. Please keep me in the loop as you mention below.

4. 4 Posted by Ramacciotti, Jo... on 29 Jan, 2015 04:45 PM

Thank you for the advice. I will take a look at the database query option and create a report outside of Cascade server.

5. 5 Posted by Wing Ming Chan on 29 Jan, 2015 04:53 PM

I mentioned the Java-Velocity option because I constantly have custom widgets in mind. A widget displayed on the dashboard can contain links to assets. Users can log in and start reading the report, and possibly jumping directly to those assets if needed.

Wing

6. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 20 Feb, 2015 08:57 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac