Duplicate block choosers for inline Default region

craig.haiss

28 Jan, 2015 07:01 PM

Our pages are pulling XHTML block data into the default region via a block chooser. We have the default region set as "inline".

We are now trying to create another output in the config set to pull in the same block data, so we can format it differently. However, the XHTML from the block isn't showing up, even though the template for the second output has the same default region specified, and has the same "current page" index block attached.

If I set the default region in the second output to "inline", everything works and I'm able to pull in the block content. BUT, I end up with two block choosers and must choose the same block twice.

Is there any way to have the two outputs leverage a single block chooser for the default region?

1. 1 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 16 Feb, 2015 09:38 PM

Hi Craig,

Currently, the duplicate inline regions would be the intended behavior because the Outputs are considered completely separate from one another. Another way to think of this functionality, when you update the page's region assignments through the Outputs pane you wouldn't be able to update a region in one Output and have it also update the region in another Output.

Since you would like to re-use the same assignment across the page's Outputs, I think your best bet would be to either switch to a chooser within the Data Definition, or use a Velocity Format for both Outputs that uses the Locator Tool to obtain the block you need.

Going a step further with the Velocity Format, if you need to output different content between the Formats for each Output, what you could do is have a "shared" Format that grabs the block you need. Then, use the #import directive to import that shared Format into each of the Formats applied to your region.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by craig.haiss on 17 Feb, 2015 04:18 PM

Ok, that makes sense. I definitely think one of these options will work for us, and I appreciate you sharing all the details.

Thanks, Ryan!

3. craig.haiss closed this discussion on 17 Feb, 2015 04:18 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac