Migrating folder from global to site that uses shared template, configuration set, destinations, and transports

karen.wilson

27 Jan, 2015 10:33 PM

I need to migrate a single folder from the global to site area. The folder uses a template that is also used in many other folders. Same for configuration sets, destinations, and transports. Will I need to make copies of all these and then reassign just this particular folder so it's independent of anything else before I migrate?

1. 1 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 28 Jan, 2015 01:28 PM

Hi Karen,

You are correct. In order to migrate the folder, the best thing to do would be to create copies of all of the shared resources so the folder is essentially self-contained. You may also need to copy the Target/Destinations as well since the Template is tied to that.

Once you create the copies and re-assign within the folder, be sure to run a test migration to see if there are any additional warnings or error messages.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by karen.wilson on 28 Jan, 2015 03:34 PM

Thank you. I plan on migrating this today so I might have additional questions later.

3. 3 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 28 Jan, 2015 03:48 PM

Not a problem at all, Karen.

I will keep this discussion open in-case you have any additional questions during the process. Please keep us posted on how things go.

Thanks!

4. 4 Posted by karen.wilson on 29 Jan, 2015 03:20 PM

When I’m copying the target since it’s shared with other folders, I have a question about the Base Folder. Do I use the Global base folder for the existing website of do I use the folder that I plan to migrate?

Karen Wilson
    Web Designer
    Southwestern Oklahoma State University
    [email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>

5. 5 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 29 Jan, 2015 03:37 PM

Hi Karen,

I believe the base folder of the chosen Target during the Migration determines what content is migrated, so I would suggest selecting the website's folder as opposed to the Global area's Base Folder. Otherwise, I believe the migration would attempt to move everything to the new Site.

Thanks!

6. 6 Posted by karen.wilson on 29 Jan, 2015 05:16 PM

Now a question about the transport. We use Filesystem with the path of ….\SWOSU. Do I leave that or add the folder to the end of the path ….\SWOSU\academics? Since we changed the base folder to “academics” I didn’t know if this was necessary or not.

Karen Wilson
    Web Designer

7. 7 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 29 Jan, 2015 05:21 PM

As long as your Target does not have Remove base folder checked, the base folder should be added onto the paths generated by Cascade, so you shouldn't need to change the Transport.

Thanks!

8. 8 Posted by karen.wilson on 02 Feb, 2015 08:45 PM

I successfully got the folder migrated to a new site. When I published the index page in that new site, it published in the root of our website and not in the folder. I have the transport set to the right folder.

There are 3 outputs for the configuration set and 4 destinations. When I go to print, do I have to check/uncheck both outputs and destinations in the right combination before publishing to make it work the way I want? Or is there a way to simplify it?

9. 9 Posted by karen.wilson on 02 Feb, 2015 09:03 PM

I’ve successfully migrated the folder but have a question regarding the Publishing. I have 2 outputs for a configuration set (HTML and Mobile). I have 4 destinations (HTML Live Site, Mobile Live Site, RSS, and Staging Server). When I publish a single page and want to publish to both destinations HTML Live Site and Mobile Live Site, do I need to uncheck the RSS and Staging Server destination?

Can you point me to a resource that explains the output/destination relationship? I’m really confused because I’m used to the Global area where the Outputs are displayed on the Publish screen.

Earlier this morning I published the “index” page of the newly migrated site and it published to the root of swosu.edu overriding the SWOSU homepage. Why would that have happened?

Karen Wilson
    Web Designer

10. 10 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 03 Feb, 2015 01:25 PM

Hi Karen,

Generally, when you migrate over to Sites, you would have a common Transport that Destinations within each Site uses, to avoid needing to maintain the Transport information in each individual Site.

This re-used Transport would point to the main directory of the web server. Each Destination within the Sites would specify a sub-directory in which the Site would be published into.

For example, let's say you have a Site www.swosu.edu which contains the Transport that publishes to /var/www. You then have an admissions site which has a Destination that uses the Transport and specifies a sub-directory of admissions. Assets published from admissions would be placed in /var/www/admissions on the web server.

When I publish a single page and want to publish to both destinations HTML Live Site and Mobile Live Site, do I need to uncheck the RSS and Staging Server destination?

By default, each output would publish to all available Destinations, unless you specify otherwise at the Content Type level where you can map outputs to specific Destinations.

Now that you are working with Sites, you most likely only need one Destination, but multiple outputs. Each output allows you to publish a file with the specified extension to that Destination. With your current setup, you will end up with all 3 outputs publishing to all 4 Destinations.

You can find additional information about transports, destinations, configuration sets, outputs and content types using the following links within our Knowledge base:

Thanks!

11. 11 Posted by karen.wilson on 03 Feb, 2015 08:54 PM

Can I use the common transport that’s in the Global area or will that cause me problems later since I plan on migrating everything out of there shortly?

I have created a content type so that I can determine what destination gets published with what output.

Since I will be using a transport pointing to the root folder on our web server, will I just need to set a “Directory” in each Destination? Such as “/academics” or just “academics”?

Karen Wilson
    Web Designer

12. 12 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 03 Feb, 2015 09:00 PM

Hi Karen,

Once you are within a Site, you won't be able to reference a Transport within the Global area. Instead, you would need to recreate that Transport within your Site. Based on your other discussion, this Transport will most likely eventually end up being moved to the "main" Site after it's migrated.

Since I will be using a transport pointing to the root folder on our web server, will I just need to set a “Directory” in each Destination? Such as “/academics” or just “academics”?

Correct, the Destination's directory will be appended onto the Transport's directory, so you would use academics.

Thanks!

13. 13 Posted by karen.wilson on 06 Feb, 2015 08:02 PM

I'm going to migrate the rest of Global to a site so I can use cross-site linking. While the migration is in progress, is it okay if I work in the other sites that have already been created?

14. 14 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 06 Feb, 2015 09:17 PM

That is great news, Karen, glad to hear you are able to go through with the migration to Sites. The switch will definitely be worth while since there are a lot of newer features that are only available for Sites.

While the migration is in progress, is it okay if I work in the other sites that have already been created?

I do not believe the migration process is a background task, so it would be best to stay on the migration page until the process completes.

Thanks!

15. 15 Posted by karen.wilson on 06 Feb, 2015 09:25 PM

I just did a test migration to see what needed to be done. The base folder is “swosu” in Global for the targets. There were errors because it said I needed to reassign them.
    [cid:[email blocked]]

What do I need to change the base folder to? Do I uncheck the “Remove Base Folder”?

Karen Wilson
    Web Designer

16. 16 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 09 Feb, 2015 01:13 PM

Hi Karen,

Based on your newer discussion it sounds as though you were able to successfully migrate from Global to a Site. What did you end up changing to resolve the Target error?

Thanks!

17. 17 Posted by karen.wilson on 09 Feb, 2015 02:26 PM

This is embarrassing, but I really can’t remember what I did. I think I removed the checkmark on Remove Base Folder.

Karen Wilson
    Web Designer

18. 18 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 09 Feb, 2015 02:29 PM

Not a problem at all, Karen. Either way, I am glad to hear you were able to successfully migrate from Global.

I'm going to go ahead and close this discussion, please feel free to comment or reply to re-open if you have any additional questions.

Have a great day!

19. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 09 Feb, 2015 02:29 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac