Approaches to multilanguage pages?

clindahl

10 Sep, 2010 05:26 PM

All:

We're looking at deploying Spanish-version pages for some of our sites here in Texas.

How are others approaching this within CASCADE?

Here are some initial references to review and discuss:

I really like the idea of separate language directories ("en", "es", etc.) I think I could wrestle the CMS into generating pages into different directories.

1. 1 Posted by Ross on 02 Feb, 2011 09:49 PM

That jQuery globalization plugin is pretty impressive. Regarding approches to globalization in Cascade, I've seen people take two approaches. The first, which you've already hit on, is the multiple directories approach. There is a workflow trigger included with Cascade since at least version 5.0 that will help out with this: the Create New Workflow Trigger. How to configure the trigger can be a little tricky, so I've created some examples of multi-lingual workflow on our GitHub code repository.

An alternative approach to multi-lingual content in Cascade that works fairly well for up to 3 languages is to use a Data Definition on every page that has WYSIWYG fields for each different language. You also have to use custom Metadata Sets on these pages that duplicates the Title, Display Name, etc. for each language. You can see how this gets out of hand with more than 3 languages. Once each page has all languages populated, you create Configuration Sets with one configuration per language; they might use different file extensions like .en.html, .es.html, and .fr.html. These configurations then parse the page's structured data to pull out the appropriate language fields. The advantage here is that you are managing only one folder hierarchy. The disadvantages are multiple: more code to keep track of (one for each language), every language must have the exact same information architecture, lengthy content editing forms.

2. Tim closed this discussion on 21 Jun, 2011 02:07 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac