Publish and read rights

James Archuleta

17 Oct, 2014 08:12 PM

Is there a way to separate read access to a folder and publish rights to the same folder? We want them to see the folder, but not be able to publish it. But be able to publish to lower level folders in the hierarchy.

1. 1 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 17 Oct, 2014 08:44 PM

Hi James,

Off-hand, I'm not sure if there really is an easy way to accomplish this. One thought I had would be to:

• Create two Roles, one can't publish assets (both Publish readable Home area assets and Publish writeable Home area assets abilities are disabled) and one has the Publish writeable Home area assets ability enabled
    • Assign a different group to each of the two rolesRole
    • Assign your User to both Groups
    • At the Folder you would not want them to be able to publish, assign the Group that can't publish assets within the Site to the folder and make sure the group can only READ. But, don't assign the other group.
    • At the Folder you want them to be able to publish (ie the child folder), assign the Group that can publish writeable assets to the folder and make sure the group can WRITE. But, don't assign the other group

I tested this out on my local 7.12.2 instance that that seemed to work. To summarize, the user should not see the edit/publish/delete tabs for the parent folder, but should for the child folder. Let me know if you would like some screenshots of some of the various screens for this setup.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

2. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 14 Nov, 2014 09:39 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac