Reference Links

Kevin Deckard

30 Sep, 2014 03:48 PM

Hi,

We are migrating from another CMS that allowed us to use custom URL's and I'm trying to figure out how to do something similar in Cascade. We have pages stored in a parent folder so the URL is the same as before but would like the menu item to show as if it were in a child of the parent folder. We are using index blocks to make the menus but because Reference links keep the XML the same and therefore puts the item in the menu twice, it doesn't seem to be possible. Is there a way to do this that I'm missing?

Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 02 Oct, 2014 02:36 PM

Hi Kevin,

I'm not sure if I am following, but correct me if I'm wrong here: you would like to place links to existing pages at different levels within your menu? If so, references would definitely be the way to go, but you might need to tweak your Format.

If I am way off, would you be able to provide perhaps some additional explanation, sample code, an example page, or a screenshot?

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by Kevin Deckard on 08 Oct, 2014 05:19 PM

Ryan,
    Sorry for the delay, been busy with other stuff lately. You seem to understand correctly. It is a problem for us because of the way URLs are formed within cascade. See the attached image. We have a 'publicsafety' folder under the 'police' folder. We would like the URL for the site to be http://domain.edu/publicsafety/etcetcetc but would like the page to be listed under the menu for 'police'. We are using an index block (see the second attachment) to display the folders as menu items.

I can't seem to figure out how to get the folder indexed without it showing in both menus. Any suggestions?

3. 3 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 10 Nov, 2014 08:52 PM

Hi Kevin,

My apologies for the delayed response to your discussion.

Looking over your latest comment, I think your best bet would be to move the public safety content into it's own Site, so it can have it's own URL. Then, you would do one of the following:

• Create references to the desired pages and place them into the police folder
    • Create External Links that link to the published public safety pages and place them within the police folder

The first option would probably be more ideal since these links would be managed by Cascade, so if the page was moved or renamed the reference would update automatically.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

4. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 03 Dec, 2014 03:05 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac