Unpublish and Delete Workflow

rgraves2

25 Sep, 2014 06:32 PM

I'm developing a workflow that unpublishes and deletes an event in our Cascade calendar. That part works, however afterwards I run a publish set that is suppose to republish the index files in several folders. That does not work.

I added an e-mail trigger right after the UnpublishAndDelete trigger and it does not work unless I move it up before the UnpublishAndDelete trigger.

So the workflow seems to stop after the UnpublishAndDelete part.

Why is that?

1. 1 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 26 Sep, 2014 04:14 PM

Hi Robert,

Currently, both the Delete and DeletAndUnpublish triggers are designed to essentially end the workflow after the deletion trigger is executed to avoid potential issues and/or corrupted data. Unfortunately, this means your Email and PublishSet triggers that occur after the delete trigger will not fire.

For the Email trigger, you can simply move it up into the initial step to make sure it is fired prior to the deletion; however, the PublishSet trigger will be a bit more difficult since you need it to fire after the delete occurs, which is not currently possible.

The only way I can think of possibly accomplishing this, which is by no means elegant, is to use the new workflow trigger to kick off a manual workflow that has a single step that calls a publish set trigger, then call your unpublish and delete trigger. Theoretically, at that point you would have a new workflow with a single step that publishes the publish set. The down side is it can't be automated; otherwise, you could have a race condition where the publish set workflow is executed before the unpublish and delete trigger ever fires, which defeats the purpose of the publish set workflow.

Note: the new workflow trigger was really designed for an internationalization type of workflow, so I'm not 100% confident in saying it will be able to do what I described.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by rgraves2 on 26 Sep, 2014 04:18 PM

Thanks I had a feeling this was the case. Is it documented anywhere?

I think I will just get rid of the delete workflow as the main purpose of it is to publish some XML files that list the file being deleted. It doesn't accomplish much without being able to run the publish set afterwards.

3. 3 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 26 Sep, 2014 06:44 PM

Not a problem at all, Robert. My apologies for not being able to provide you with a straight-forward solution.

If you would like, feel free to post a suggestion for this functionality on our Idea Exchange for others to vote up and/or comment on. I went ahead and sent over an invitation, let me know if you have any issues accessing the system.

Is it documented anywhere?

Thank you for pointing this out. Looking over the DeleteAndUnpublish trigger Knowledge base page, I am not seeing this documented. I am assuming this is the case for the Delete trigger as well. I will make a note to check with the developers and update the two trigger pages.

I'm going to go ahead and close this discussion, please feel free to comment or reply to re-open if you have any additional questions.

Have a great day!

4. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 26 Sep, 2014 06:44 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac