Create a alphbetic site map of the site

Jiten Patel

01 Sep, 2010 08:29 PM

I would like to create a alphabetic sitemap, where in when I click on a link Saying "a" all the pages in Cascade starting with letter "a" gets populated.

Example Site: http://www.clemson.edu/site-index/?C

1. 1 Posted by Penny on 01 Sep, 2010 09:57 PM

The way they appear to be accomplishing this is by using javascript and php. If you are familiar with these languages, it should be possible to do within Cascade. The php part would not work within Cascade but it would on publish. You could use Cascade though to make this work.

So first you will need to make an xml page that populates all of your Site's page's titles and paths. You can do this by creating a template that utilizes an Index Block that indexes the entire site and a format that outputs all of your Pages in title and path groupings. You could even add an organization for alphabet in your XML outputted structure.

You will then need to make your PHP page, it should contain your PHP that processes your XML like the pages they ultimately end up pulling from (http://www.clemson.edu/site-index/siteindex.php?D).

You can then use similar JS to what they used to process those pages.

Or you could just use Javascript and CSS or Javascript and XML, just Javascript, or just HTML (utilizing anchor jumps), or a combination of those things, depending on what languages you are familiar with and how clunky (depends on the number of pages there will be) you are willing for your pages to be at load time. Below are 4 different ways that I have implemented something similar. All have their own pros and cons. Some are more easy than others.

1. If you would like just a plain HTML page that allows user to jump through your site index, I would suggest using the following XSLT format on github with an index block of your entire site. You can change the groupings so that it outputs each letter of the alphabet, just copy those groupings and change them to be only one letter at a time.

2. If you would like a hide-show effect and know a little Javascript and CSS, you can use the above HTML method and add some Hide/Show effects on the anchor tag in the XSLT.

3. If you would like to use just Javascript, you could create a Javascript file in Cascade using the Index Block and format to make an array of page title's and their paths. You can then write a function to pull from this array on clicking of the anchor. This call will need to be added to the XSLT link.

4. If you would like to use Javascript and XML, you can create an XML file (as described in the very beginning) of pages. You can then write a Javascript that pulls in the XML elements for each letter clicked.

2. Tim closed this discussion on 21 Sep, 2010 05:34 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac