Question about creating user and assign permission

rbhatt

19 Sep, 2014 05:34 PM

I would like to create a user account with permission to view all the website configuration and files but not able to give access to modify security and any configuration. Could you please let me know which role and group i should use for this purpose? and steps to create it if i need to create a new role.

Thank you,
Rutvi

1. 1 Posted by rbhatt on 22 Sep, 2014 09:08 PM

I need to know this steps asap as i have given out user account "brainworks" with full admin permission to vendor on production.

Thank you,
    Rutvi

2. 2 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 23 Sep, 2014 12:49 PM

Hi Rutvi,

Just wanted to clarify, when you say view all the website configuration and files, are you referring to being able to edit the Site itself, or are you just referring to assets within the Site's home area (ie folders, pages, files, etc)? And, when you say but not able to give access to modify security and any configuration, are you referring to disabling the ability to modify asset permissions and access to the Site's administration area?

Thanks!

3. 3 Posted by rbhatt on 23 Sep, 2014 06:47 PM

Hi Ryan,

We have vendor who need to review how the website templates are configured in cascade as they are making some modifications to the design. So I want them to view our soka.edu website assets, configurations without modifying them. Also I want to disable access to modify security for that user.

Thank you,
    Rutvi

4. 4 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 23 Sep, 2014 07:26 PM

Hi Rutvi,

It sounds like you would want to give this user a sort of contributor Site Role in which they really don't have much access within the Site other than reading assets. In that case, your best bet may be to create like a "base" Site Role that has everything disabled.

Once you assign this Role to the user they would be able to access the Site, but not do much. The only thing to keep in mind is if any assets have permissions set to WRITE for all users, which would grant them access to edit the asset. In that case, if you are running Cascade Server 7.8 or newer you can use the new permissions UI to make the user (or group) READ only at the Base Folder (or the appropriate folder if that is already read only) and merge the permission to the children.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

5. 5 Posted by rbhatt on 30 Sep, 2014 05:40 PM

Can they also view the configuration sets, content types and also files under _internal folder?

Thank you,
    Rutvi

6. 6 Posted by rbhatt on 30 Sep, 2014 05:41 PM

Also, following roles are currently available which role i should apply?

Administrator Global
    Approver Global
    Contributor Global
    Manager Global
    Publisher Global
    Site vendor admin role Site
    soka_approver Global
    soka_contributor Global
    soka_manager Global
    soka_publisher

7. 7 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 30 Sep, 2014 05:53 PM

Hi Rutvi,

Can they also view the configuration sets, content types and also files under _internal folder?

It really depends on how you choose to configure the Role, but by default a Contributor Role will not have access to the Site's Administrative area, or assets within it. As for the _internal folder, if you need to revoke access, you would need to adjust that folder's permissions to exclude the desired user(s) and/or group(s).

Also, following roles are currently available which role i should apply?

Most of those appear to be Global Roles, which won't apply here. That being said, you should be able to create a new Site Role and base it off of the default Contributor Role for starters.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

8. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 15 Oct, 2014 02:31 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac