Global Max Upload

jklingman

01 Sep, 2010 01:36 AM

I have a site to import that is about 4 GB, and the thinking about the number of Zip files I'm going to have to create and upload is making me nauseous. This is a brand-new install (6.7.1) on SQL Server, and the Global Max Upload is set at 20 MB.

My question is, what's the largest that this can SAFELY be set to? I didn't want to set it to, say, 500 MB and crash the system. I would be fine with the upload of a Zip file taking several hours if it means I can do it in larger chunks, but I would like to know from the experts what is a realistic Global Max Upload value I should consider. Thank you.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tim on 01 Sep, 2010 03:38 PM

There are a lot of different things that could affect upload behavior of large files (network activity, no. of users in the system, CPU resources available, etc), so I would recommend starting with a conservative value - perhaps 100MB. See how the system reacts during that upload and if all goes well, increase the value for the next round of ZIP imports. We typically set client instances to ~200MB and haven't run into any problems doing so. My guess is that you could potentially go much higher but we haven't run into a situation where we had to do that.

2. 2 Posted by jklingman on 01 Sep, 2010 05:24 PM

Thanks Tim. This is a new install on a pretty hefty machine, though it's not on our network. So the file will have to travel through the ways of the 'net. But nobody's on CMS yet except for me, so I'll try 500 MB to see what happens. Thanks again.

3. jklingman closed this discussion on 01 Sep, 2010 05:28 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac