Dynamic email in workflow

e-jameson

10 Jul, 2014 04:52 PM

We are using Web Services to create Event Pages in our system. We opted to do it this way so anyone could submit an event with out a Cascade login (just need a University Login). We have a "Web-Services" user that creates the event, and we store the actual users login in the metadata field "Author".

Our event pages go through an approval process before publishing, and we need to send an email to the Author when the page is approved and published. In a workflow, how do we access this metadata field and supply it to the email handler?

If my University username is 'e-jameson', [email blocked] will always be a valid email address (even if I have another email alias). We can either read in Author and append '@bethel.edu' in the workflow, or simply store the entire email in Author. What is the best way to handle this?

Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 11 Jul, 2014 12:44 PM

Hi Eric,

Let me check with the developers, but I believe that it is not currently possible to dynamically change trigger parameters (ie Email trigger recipient emails) for a single workflow instance.

That being said, I had an idea for a possible workaround. You could create a Publish Trigger that checks to see if the asset being published is an event (probably based on the Content Type) being published for the first time (ie just approved), and if it is, reads the metadata value and sends out an email.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

2. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 18 Aug, 2014 07:42 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac