Disable buttons from TinyMCE editor

Joel Trauger

10 Jul, 2014 03:51 PM

Cascade uses a wonderful and powerful WYSIWYG editor called TinyMCE. Love it.

But some of the users of our instance don't need all the buttons that are offered. I've been told that buttons can be disabled, but the options I found don't remove all the buttons I feel should be removed.

Can the extra buttons be removed and how?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tim on 10 Jul, 2014 04:52 PM

Hi Joel,

What specific buttons are you looking to have removed? You may have already noticed the options in System Menu -> Preferences -> Content:

Font Assignment 
    Content Formatting   
    Text Formatting
    Disable table controls

In addition to those global settings, you also have the option of configuring your WYSIWYG editors (assuming they are included in a Data Definition) to remove the following:

font formatting, font assignment, text formatting, insert image, insert table, html view

These same options are also available to configure at the Group level. So, for example, if 'UserA' has a Default Group 'GroupA' and that Group has html view disabled, UserA should not be able to click to view the HTML source in the WYSIWYG editor.

If you are looking for more control, I would encourage you to vote on this related idea. I just sent you an invite to that Idea Exchange so let me know if you have any trouble accessing it.

I'll wait to hear from you.

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by Joel Trauger on 10 Jul, 2014 05:12 PM

Pretty much all the buttons except the Paragraph chooser and the Bold, underline, and italics buttons. It's a simple thing to tell users not to format their text beyond adding heading formats and making things bold and italics, or even underlined.

Thanks for sharing that idea page. I made a comment I felt was constructive and informative.

Joel Trauger
    Webmaster
    Office of Marketing and Communications
    Henderson State University<http://www.hsu.edu>
    Box 7823 • Arkadelphia, AR 71999-0001
    870-230-5356

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Tim on 10 Jul, 2014 05:18 PM

Thank you so much for the feedback, Joel. I just saw your comment on the item and I certainly agree with it. Just so you know, that idea is currently the 2nd most-voted-on in our Idea Exchange so it is certainly on our radar.

Have a good one!

4. Tim closed this discussion on 10 Jul, 2014 05:18 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac