Is it possible to migrate specific folders from one instance of Cascade to another?

matt.chappel

26 Jun, 2014 10:37 PM

Hello,

We have a Test Instance and a Production Instance of Cascade. We have a single section (folder) of the site that is rather large and is being overhauled in Test.

Can we move ONLY this folder from Test to Production? We don't need (nor want) to migrate the whole site.
Both Test and Prod are running 7.10.2.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Regards,
Matt

1. 1 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 27 Jun, 2014 12:11 PM

Hi Matt,

Currently, it is only possible to export the entire Site. The only options I can think of would be to import the Site into production and move/copy the folder over into the existing Site, or, write a Web Services script that performs the migration for you. The script would need to create any required assets (templates, blocks, formats, administrative assets, etc) prior to migrating the actual folder.

That being said, if you would like to see this sort of feature implemented in Cascade Server, I highly recommend posting a suggestion on our Idea Exchange for others to vote up and/or comment on. Let me know if you need access to the Idea Exchange and I will send over an invitation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by matt.chappel on 27 Jun, 2014 01:29 PM

Hi Ryan,

If I were to migrate the entire TEST site into PROD, would they need to exist within the same “site”?
    It doesn’t appear that I can move folders/files across different “sites” within the same instance.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
    Matt

Matt Chappel | UI Developer, Application Solutions
    Center for IT Excellence | Texas A&M University - Commerce
    Email: [email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>
    www.tamuc.edu<http://www.tamuc.edu/>

3. 3 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 27 Jun, 2014 02:21 PM

Hi Matt,

If I were to migrate the entire TEST site into PROD, would they need to exist within the same “site”?

You would export the Site from your TEST instance and import it as an entirely new Site in your PROD instance.

It doesn’t appear that I can move folders/files across different “sites” within the same instance.

Once the new Site has been imported, you can move the desired from from one Site to another using the Move tab.

Note: if there are additional assets such as administrative assets (ie configuration sets, content types, etc.), index blocks, formats, etc. used within this overhauled folder, they would need to be moved over as well. Otherwise, the assets within the moved folder will still be referencing assets within the imported Site, which would prevent you from deleting it when you are finished with it.

Thanks!

4. 4 Posted by matt.chappel on 01 Jul, 2014 07:56 PM

Hi Ryan,

Thanks so much for the help.
    I noticed that I can move assets from one site to another, but not from or to “Global”.
    Is there any way to change this?

Thanks and regards,
    Matt

5. 5 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 01 Jul, 2014 07:59 PM

Not a problem at all, Matt.

You are correct, there are certain things that cannot be done between Global and Sites, due to differences in the areas. What you would need to do is migrate from Global to a Site object first in order to move/copy these assets.

Thanks!

6. 6 Posted by matt.chappel on 01 Jul, 2014 08:16 PM

Thanks for the info, Ryan.

Is a “site object” essentially, a “site” within the instance I’m currently in?
    I only ask because I didn’t see a reference to “site object” in the documentation you linked to.

Thanks so much,
    Matt

Center for IT Excellence| Texas A&M University - Commerce
    Email: [email blocked]
    www.tamuc.edu

7. 7 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 01 Jul, 2014 08:44 PM

My apologies for the confusion Matt. You are correct, the terms "Site" and "Site object" can be used interchangeably.

Thanks!

8. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 09 Jul, 2014 02:59 PM.

9. matt.chappel re-opened this discussion on 10 Jul, 2014 04:49 PM

10. 8 Posted by matt.chappel on 10 Jul, 2014 04:49 PM

Hi Ryan,

One more question on this topic:

If you can’t move things from Global to Sites, or vice versa, what is the point of the Global area?
    Is it supposed to be simply a repository for Data Definitions, Asset Factories, Content Types, Configuration Sets, Images, Style sheets, and other global assets?

Is the assumption that ALL of your sites would be hosted on ONE instance of Cascade and that your Global assets would be reachable by ANY site if these assets are located in the Global area?

Hope that makes sense. ☺

Thanks,
    Matt

Center for IT Excellence | Texas A&M University - Commerce
    Email: [email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>
    www.tamuc.edu<http://www.tamuc.edu/>

11. 9 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 10 Jul, 2014 06:40 PM

Hi Matt,

I like to consider the Global area more of a legacy area that dates back to before Sites were introduced.

Because there are fundamental differences between the Global area and Sites, there are certain things you just can not do between the two, such as link to content, copy/move content, etc. One of these differences is in the way publishing occurs. For instance, the Global area uses a concept called Targets to define how pages are published, whereas Sites do not. Here is a page which lists various relationships within the system.

Is it supposed to be simply a repository for Data Definitions, Asset Factories, Content Types, Configuration Sets, Images, Style sheets, and other global assets?

Because you can not link from Sites to Global, generally there is a "common" Site which contains re-usable assets. These assets are then linked to from the other Sites.

Is the assumption that ALL of your sites would be hosted on ONE instance of Cascade and that your Global assets would be reachable by ANY site if these assets are located in the Global area?

Once clients fully switch over to Sites, the main use for the Global area is for user, group and role management.

Thanks!

12. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 17 Jul, 2014 12:09 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac