Replace "Page Title" with image chooser??

matt.chappel

25 Jun, 2014 01:39 PM

I have a client who would rather display an image than a text-based page title on their page
I figured I could create a new MetaData set that hides the page title and just add an image chooser into a custom Data Definition which places the image at the top of the page.

Is this the method you'd suggest, or is their a better and/or easier way?

Thanks,
Matt

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tim on 25 Jun, 2014 06:57 PM

Hi Matt,

Your idea sounds fine to me. In fact, you may not even need to create a new Metadata Set to handle these types of Pages. You could leave the Title field available and that way the data would be there in case you need it to populate the actual web page title (the one that appears at the top of your browser when you visit the page). Since you're going to be using an image from the Data Definition as a title for the page, you can simply choose not to output anything on the page with respect to the contents of the Title field.

Does that make sense?

2. 2 Posted by matt.chappel on 25 Jun, 2014 07:29 PM

Hi Tim,

I made the realization about not needing the MetaData Set after I’d already gone through the trouble of making it ☺

I got rid of the MetaData set, then simply added a page region to my template, edited the Data Definition to allow for an image chooser/alt text field, threw a simple XSLT format together for the page region and voila!

Thank you for your input and assistance.

Kind regards,
    Matt

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Tim on 25 Jun, 2014 07:35 PM

That's what I like to hear! Thanks for the update, Matt. Have a good one!

4. Tim closed this discussion on 25 Jun, 2014 07:35 PM.

5. matt.chappel re-opened this discussion on 27 Jun, 2014 02:48 PM

6. 4 Posted by matt.chappel on 27 Jun, 2014 02:48 PM

Sorry Tim,

The customer added a new layer of complexity to this...

Instead of assigning the title image at the page level, he'd like to do it at the FOLDER level so that every page within that folder has the same image.

I checked to see if Section Folders could have data definitions assigned to them, but it only looks like metadata can be assigned to them. Is it possible to somehow assign an image at the folder level which propagates to every child page?

Hope that makes sense. Sorry to re-open this.

Thanks,
    Matt

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Tim on 27 Jun, 2014 03:16 PM

Hi Matt,

No worries! Sure, so generally what we recommend folks do in these cases is create a Data Definition Block in each Folder of their Site. The Data Definition for the Block will contain a file chooser (so that users can select an image) as well as any other fields that you may want to share across the Pages in a particular Folder. Across each Page in your Folder, you'll attach an Index Block that indexes only Blocks (this is an option in the Index Block). This way, your Data Definition Block will provide you with the information you need to output the image (and any other information) that was selected using either a Velocity or XSLT Format.

This makes it easy to change the image for all Pages at once. All you need to do from that point on is edit the Block for the Folder, swap the image, and your Pages will automatically start displaying the selected image.

Does that make sense? Let me know if you have any questions.

8. 6 Posted by matt.chappel on 27 Jun, 2014 03:46 PM

Awesome!

Thank you for the tip!
    I went ahead and added a text field for the folder’s MetaData that allows the user to manually input the image file name they’d like to use for the section title, and edited the Left Nav XSLT accordingly.
    This option will override the page level title image.

We’ll see if this method works. I’ll probably use yours in the future though.

Thanks so much for the assistance, Tim.

Regards,
    Matt

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by Tim on 27 Jun, 2014 03:48 PM

No problem! Take care, Matt.

10. Tim closed this discussion on 27 Jun, 2014 03:48 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac