Custom execution after publish completes

zou

21 Jun, 2014 04:58 PM

Hi,

I don't know if this is possible but is there a way to trigger a script or some additional code once the publish completes? example: I would like to trigger a script on the published server once the publish completes.

Thanks

1. 1 Posted by Wing Ming Chan on 22 Jun, 2014 04:13 PM

Hi zou,

I made a similar wish a while ago (see Event Handling Model In Web Services?), though it is very unlikely that it would come true.

Wing

2. 2 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 23 Jun, 2014 12:48 PM

Hi,

As Wing and I discussed previously, this is functionality is not currently built into Cascade Server. The closest concept to this would be Publish Triggers, which are executed prior to the publish operation taking place.

As I mentioned to Wing, I highly recommend posting a suggestion to our Idea Exchange for others to vote up and/or comment on. Let me know if you need access to the Idea Exchange and I will send over an invitation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

3. 3 Posted by zou on 23 Jun, 2014 01:22 PM

Thank you Wing and Ryan. Your feed back was very informative and helpful. Thanks again.

4. 4 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 23 Jun, 2014 02:28 PM

Not a problem at all.

Actually, I was mistaken, Publish Triggers execute after the transmission occurs, so this may be a possible solution for you.

Thanks!

5. 5 Posted by Wing Ming Chan on 23 Jun, 2014 02:30 PM

Ryan,

The publish triggers won't do because we are talking about execution of code outside Cascade. We just need to be informed that the event occurs.

Wing

6. 6 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 23 Jun, 2014 03:02 PM

Hi Wing,

Although not ideal, you can create a Publish Trigger that calls an external script. Here is a sample Publish Trigger I provided a client recently that does just this.

To summarize, you configure the Publish Trigger with a URL to the script and it will POST information about the asset being published (id, path, and Site id).

Note: currently, this trigger calls the external script for every Asset that is published. This also includes Assets that are published via Smart Publishing as well (ie Assets that are internally linked to the one currently being published).

For information regarding setting up the development environment and deploying your custom Publish Trigger, see this page.

Thanks!

7. 7 Posted by Wing Ming Chan on 24 Jun, 2014 11:56 AM

Ryan,

Thank you for the important information. Plugins and triggers will be my next project after web services.

Wing

8. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 01 Jul, 2014 08:01 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac