Is there a way to implement the MathML character set in Cascade?

Charla

04 Jun, 2014 02:23 PM

We have a math related website in which the instructor uses MathML to create math problems. Is there a way to implement that in Cascade so he can edit math problems?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tim on 01 Jul, 2014 04:40 PM

Hi Charla,

Apologies for the delay in responding here. I wasn't really familiar with MathML so I had to do some research. Do you know how your instructor intends to use this? For example, is he/she looking to create the problems directly in the editor or is it more likely that they would be copying/pasting MathML code into the editor?

Using an HTML5 Template in Cascade Server, I was able to get some sample MathML code into the editor by using our #protect tags. However, I'm not sure how useful that is since it basically hides the code from the user in the editing interface (and they then need to go to the source code to edit).

I also checked the TinyMCE demo site to see if any changes have been made which will allow for this code to be used in the editor, but it seems that it is stripped out here as well (which is why I had to use the #protect tags in Cascade Server).

I'll wait to hear from you as to how they wish to use MathML and perhaps I'll be able to make a recommendation from there.

Thanks

2. 2 Posted by Charla on 01 Jul, 2014 05:02 PM

Thanks for checking on that, Tim. Yes, he probably would cut and paste.
    There is no rush on this, you can probably in fact close the ticket. We are
    not migrating this particular site any time soonŠdue to reluctance on the
    instructor¹s part and it has nothing to do with the character set.

Charla

Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 12:40:29 -0400
    To: Charla Pate <[email blocked]>
    Subject: Re: Is there a way to implement the MathML character set in
    Cascade? [How Do I... #12877]

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Tim on 01 Jul, 2014 05:05 PM

No problem, Charla.

For copying/pasting (and then editing as needed) you could probably make this work using the tags I mentioned above. However, it's not very user friendly as they would actually need to modify the HTML source in order to see anything. At that point, it would probably be just as easy to set up some sort of way to use XML Blocks for listing out the problems since that would take the editor out of the equation.

I appreciate the update. Just let us know if you plan to move forward with this at a later date. Take care!

4. Tim closed this discussion on 01 Jul, 2014 05:05 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac