One folder per page?

mwinning

05 Aug, 2010 05:17 PM

An agency who is building our site in Cascade says that every page must reside in its own folder, meaning one page=one folder. Is this accurate?

1. 1 Posted by Joel on 05 Aug, 2010 05:23 PM

Hi,

This is not correct, as you can have as many pages as needed within a single folder. Please refer to this article for more information regarding page assets.

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by Penny on 05 Aug, 2010 05:58 PM

Most people have more than one page per folder.

Depending on how the agency sets up your site, they may require you to structure your site one page per folder. This is not a Cascade condition though. The Hannon Hill website driven by Cascade definitely has more than one page per folder.

If you have an issue with this, I would suggest discussing with the agency why they are limiting you to one page per folder and see if they can setup the integration to allow you more than one page per folder.

In past instances that I have worked on, I generally provide a Folder asset that already contains a Default/Index page just for ease of folder creation but then more Pages can be added to that folder as needed.

I would definitely, strongly suggest that you talk with the company integrating your site if this is an issue for you. If you can provide them with a basic outline of how you would like your folder structure within your Site setup, they should be able to work within those requirements.

I hope this helps!

3. 3 Posted by mwinning on 05 Aug, 2010 06:54 PM

Thank you. Looks like it was already coded this way and will require starting over to undo. : (

My big issue is that it's an extra step for our users.

4. 4 Posted by Penny on 05 Aug, 2010 07:03 PM

Yes, that would be a bit tedious when creating multiple pages. I would suggest making sure that they create at least an Asset Factory for that Folder that creates the Page at the same time. That way you create the Folder, enter necessary info, and then you just go and Edit the Page (that is auto-created) and fill in the necessary content. At least this way, your users only have to Create one item.

5. 5 Posted by mwinning on 05 Aug, 2010 07:12 PM

Under that scenario, when a page is created, can a template also be selected? Thanks!

6. 6 Posted by Penny on 05 Aug, 2010 07:40 PM

Not exactly. You will need to set up Base Assets and Asset Factories for each of your Page types with a Folder containing that Page.

Lets say you have two kinds of pages, News Articles and Events. Generally, you would go to the New menu and then click News Article or you would go to the New menu and then click Event, depending on which you want.

What you have described having to do is click New select Folder add contents and Submit. You then go to New menu click News Article/Event depending on what you want, enter content and then Submit.

What they can do is set up a News Article that is basically a Folder with a News Article already in it. They would need to do this for each of your Page types. So basically when you go to Create a New Page you will see the folder icon instead of a blue page icon in the New menu.

So you would still go to New menu and select News Article but that would create a Folder with a News Article page in it. If they set this up for each of your Page types, you would have the same process for say your Event. You would choose the Page type by selecting the appropriate Folder to create (but these can be named things like News Article, Event, Blog, etc, to not confuse users).

7. 7 Posted by mwinning on 05 Aug, 2010 08:36 PM

Gotcha. Thanks!

8. mwinning closed this discussion on 05 Aug, 2010 08:36 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac