Creating a Page and a Folder with the same name

kendjone

09 Feb, 2012 10:18 PM

Is it possible to create a folder and a page that have the same name in the same directory?

If I create a folder with the same name as another asset it renames it.

If I create a folder using an asset factory I get the error 'An error occurred during creation: The requested asset does not exist: Asset with id ''{0}'' does not exist.'

1. 1 Posted by Eric L. Epps on 09 Feb, 2012 10:59 PM

It's not like a file system; assets within a folder must have unique names. So, in direct answer to your question--no, it is not possible.

2. 2 Posted by kendjone on 09 Feb, 2012 11:14 PM

but when you publish to a web server it is a directory and a file. The convention makes no sense because there would be no conflict on the web server.

I have a frustrated user transferring content into cascade server that is using a naming convention where some .html files are named the same as some of the folders. I just wanted to make sure this was the case before I told him he would need to rename all the html files.

"... assets within a asset..."

3. 3 Posted by Amy on 10 Feb, 2012 05:46 PM

Yes, Eric is correct. Assets within a folder must have unique names. In my experience, when I have seen .html files named the same as folders, the most logical thing is to rename those .html files so they become the index pages inside the folders of the same name (i.e., about.html should now be /about/index). However, if the about folder already has an index page, then it may make sense to reevaluate why there is an about.html file in addition to an about folder and whether that .html file should actually be renamed and left in it current location or if it should be moved into the folder with the same name.

I hope this helps and we apologize for the inconvenience!

4. kendjone closed this discussion on 15 Feb, 2012 04:36 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac