edit tab not appearing for group/role

Rory Reiff

10 Nov, 2011 11:24 PM

Hello,

I am using Cascade for the first time in a manner that requires me to set up permissions and users/roles. I am confused as to why my contributor role isn't seeing the edit tab? I feel like I am missing some simple step - but I have poured over all the various screens and can't gleen anything obvious. I thought maybe it was an issue related to workflows, which we haven't yet touched, but I even clicked the setting for contributors to 'bypass workflows' and it changed nothing.

Thanks for the help!

1. 1 Posted by Charlie Holder on 11 Nov, 2011 01:44 PM

Hey Rory --

This can be a bit tricky sometimes. Mostly because in Cascade we separate the ideas of Abilities and Access/Permissions. When I say Abilities I'm talking "what you can do." When I say Access/Permissions I'm talking about "what you can do it to." So technically you can grant someone the Ability to Edit a Page asset. But if you don't also grant them Access/Permissions to the Page, they will not be able to carry out that action.

This sounds like the situation here. Verify that you have Write Permissions for the Page. You can do that by navigating to the Page and clicking the Access Tab (it should be under the More Tab). The Access Tab governs Read/Write Access to an asset. It governs access to Read/Write that specific asset exactly where it is. It DOES NOT give someone the ability to Edit it. This ties back into the difference between Abilities and Access/Permissions.

Now, just because you give someone Write Access/Permissions to a Page doesn't mean they'll be able to just make changes whenever they want. The other Abilities they possess as part of their Role inheritance will dictate whether or not they have to use a Workflow or can bypass an approval process. So if you happen to accidentally give someone Write Access/Permissions and the Abilities didn't match up, you'd be okay.

I hope this information is helpful. Let me know if I can help further. I know that Users/Groups/Roles can be confusing at time. I've personally done a few custom training sessions on the topic, so let the Services Team know if you'd like to book an hour for training along with discussion and questions.

2. 2 Posted by Rory Reiff on 11 Nov, 2011 03:33 PM

Thanks Charlie,

That did the trick, and the setup for access/permissions makes more sense now. Cheers!

3. Charlie Holder closed this discussion on 11 Nov, 2011 04:54 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac