Worflow question

carballo

22 Aug, 2011 01:26 PM

Hello

We are experiencing a couple of unexpected behaviors in a workflow that not too long was working properly

As you can see for the attach xml file (SBIU-wf.xml), the workflow "travels" from contributor to approver to publisher groups and includes the possibility for approver or publisher groups to either edit and approve forward, or to reject and sent back. The problem happens when rejecting and sending back, which in the workflow means going into the unordered steps. When that's the case we get one of the behaviors:

1- The workflow waits for ownership, but the CS does not give the option to the user in the assign group to take ownership of it (see attache image case1.png)

2- User gets a error stating the the user "does not have write access to the entity required for assignment to an edit workflow step," which, as far a we can tell, it's not the case. See attachment case2.png

Please advise and thank you for your attention to this matter

Erick Carballo
Indiana University

1. 1 Posted by Joel on 23 Aug, 2011 02:24 PM

Hi Erick,

Does this same behavior occur for all assets when edited via this Workflow, or just one in particular? Could you post a screenshot of the Access rights and permissions for the asset the Workflow is referring to in case2.png.

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by carballo on 24 Aug, 2011 01:11 PM

Joel

Does this same behavior occur for all assets when edited via this Workflow, or just one in particular?

The only other assets we've tried in this folder are other pages, and yes we've experience the same problem.

Screen shot of the access rights and permissions for case2.png attached (case2Access.png).

Thanks

E~

3. 3 Posted by Joel on 24 Aug, 2011 01:16 PM

Erick,

Have these permissions been applied to the pages (or children) of the afternoontest folder? Could you try applying these permissions once again via the "Apply to children" check box and retry your Workflow? Please let me know what you find.

Thanks!

4. 4 Posted by carballo on 24 Aug, 2011 01:37 PM

Joel

I reapplied the permission with "apply to children": exactly same error (case2).

FYI: I am now attaching a screen of the properties of the asset factory (assetFactView.png).

Thanks

E~

5. 5 Posted by carballo on 25 Aug, 2011 01:29 PM

Joel, were you able to reproduce the problem?

Erick

6. 6 Posted by Joel on 25 Aug, 2011 01:49 PM

Erick,

I'm still working on this issue. As soon as I have some feedback I will be sure to let you know.

Thanks!

7. 7 Posted by Joel on 31 Aug, 2011 05:21 PM

Erick,

Could you let me know if the "SB-IUSB-CAMPUS_wcmst_vincciapp" group has the following ability enabled within their highest Role:

Assign to self and approve steps in a workflow

If this is enabled, then perhaps we could setup a time to hold a screen sharing session, as I am unable to reproduce the described behavior locally.

Thanks!

8. 8 Posted by carballo on 02 Sep, 2011 01:46 PM

Joel

"Assign to self and approve steps in a workflow" is enabled for SB-IUSB-CAMPUS_wcmst_vincciapp and the group has the aprover role (see attached images)

A sharing session sounds like a great idea. Would you have time to do it today? Except from 3:00-4:00 (EST) I am available all day. I would love to get this issue out of the way: it is getting on the way of the deployment of one of our campuses sites.

Thanks for your help

E~

9. 9 Posted by Joel on 02 Sep, 2011 01:55 PM

Erick,

We can meet now if you'd like. Please give me a call at 678-904-6900 ext. 141.

Thanks!

10. 10 Posted by Joel on 02 Sep, 2011 08:45 PM

Erick,

We're still looking into this issue. As soon as we have some feedback however I will be sure to let you know.

Thanks!

11. 11 Posted by carballo on 06 Sep, 2011 07:54 PM

Joel

I sending you this information, mostly as an fyi hoping that you find it useful.

I included my own admin account as part of the contributor group, and still received the "An error occurred: User carballo does not have write access to the entity required for assignment to an edit workflow step" when I tried "assign to me."

Cordial wishes

Erick

12. 12 Posted by Joel on 12 Sep, 2011 02:24 PM

Erick,

When did you last upgrade and what version did you upgrade from? Also, can you verify if the problem happens only in a create workflow and only when another user (meaning other than original author) attempts to assign edit step to themselves?

Thanks!

13. 13 Posted by carballo on 13 Sep, 2011 12:44 PM

Joel

We upgraded from 6.8.2 to 6.8.3 on 4 Aug 2011. We had been running 6.8.2 since 16 June.

The problem does not happen only in a create workflow. It does takes place when the original authors attempts to assign edit to the themselves.

Erick

14. 14 Posted by Joel on 15 Sep, 2011 08:55 PM

Erick,

We've been testing this behavior in past versions and have found the functionality to be consistent with 6.10.3. The behavior you are seeing only seems to occur on create Workflows, which again, has always behaved that way from our recent testing. However, to solve the issue you're now seeing you can use a transition step places just before the edit step of the contributor, that way the transition is to transition the lock to the contributor user before they edit it. Please let me know if this corrects your issue.

If you are positive that this behavior worked other workflow types other than create, please let me know as well as the specific version it occurs on.

Thanks!

15. 15 Posted by carballo on 15 Sep, 2011 09:12 PM

Joel

I am going to be in Atlanta next week for the conference. Is there a
    chance that we get together to discuss this?

E~

16. 16 Posted by Joel on 16 Sep, 2011 01:46 PM

Of course Erick!

17. 17 Posted by carballo on 16 Sep, 2011 02:02 PM

Great! See you in a couple of days.

E~

18. 18 Posted by Joel on 22 Sep, 2011 06:23 PM

Hey Erick,

Apologies for not going over this while you were in town for the conference, but perhaps we could meet via a screen share to talk about this further sometime? Please let me know whenever is convenient for you and we'll meet then.

Thanks!

19. 19 Posted by carballo on 22 Sep, 2011 06:42 PM

Joel

Thanks for the follow-up. I did go by the desk a few times, and I am sorry
    we could not connect. A screen share sounds great, when are you available
    next week?

Thanks for the offer.

I hope things are going well for you and tell everyone thanks for a great
    conference.

E~

20. 20 Posted by Joel on 22 Sep, 2011 07:29 PM

Erick,

Anytime would be good for me next week, just let me know a day and time and we can meet then. And yeah, the one time where I was free and you were in sight, I believe you were heading to give your presentation so that was a bit unfortunate, but no worries we can connect next week! Things are great here, we appreciated having you as well!

Thanks!

21. 21 Posted by carballo on 30 Sep, 2011 11:45 AM

Joel

Regarding

to solve the issue you're now seeing you can use a transition step places just before the edit step of the contributor, that way the transition is to transition the lock to the contributor user before they edit it. Please let me know if this corrects your issue.

Would you have sometime today (Friday Sept. 30) for a--hopefully--short screen share session? If today does not work, could you please suggest another date/time?

Thanks

Erick

22. 22 Posted by Joel on 30 Sep, 2011 01:00 PM

Sure thing Erick, today isn't the best day but I do have some free time between the hours of 10:00 and 11:00am. If that small window doesn't work I am available anytime next week, just let me know when is best for you!

Thanks!

23. 23 Posted by carballo on 30 Sep, 2011 01:08 PM

Joel, 10:00-11:00 works for me. I'll call you then (yours is ext. 141,
    correct?)

Thanks for being so accommodating

E~

24. 24 Posted by Joel on 30 Sep, 2011 01:13 PM

Correct Erick, you can reach me at 678-904-6900 ext. 141.

Thanks!

25. 25 Posted by carballo on 03 Oct, 2011 06:53 PM

Joel, you may close this issue.

Thanks for all your help.

Erick

26. 26 Posted by Joel on 03 Oct, 2011 08:50 PM

Sure thing Erick!

27. Joel closed this discussion on 03 Oct, 2011 08:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac