benefits of block chooser?

ssuh

11 Aug, 2011 07:41 PM

can you explain the benefits of using the block chooser? in the past we just assigned blocks to certain regions.

1. 1 Posted by Michael McGinni... on 11 Aug, 2011 10:26 PM

I thought that the block chooser was the only way to assign blocks to certain regions.

2. 2 Posted by Charlie Holder on 11 Aug, 2011 11:23 PM

I think Stephen may be talking about a Block Chooser as part of a Data Definition whereas mdmcginnis is referring to the Asset Chooser for assigning a Block asset to a system-region.

The advantage of using a Block Chooser in a Data Definition really comes in when you need to dynamically assign content that is contained with a pre-existing Block.

One example could be this: a Press Release page with contact information attached. Imagine using an XHTML Block with a Data Definition attached to statically store contact information inside Cascade for important people. You would have contact information Blocks stored in Cascade so that users wouldn't have to type in a name, email address, and/or phone number every time they wanted to reference "John Doe" as the best person to get in touch with relating to a certain idea/event/post/etc. Users could create their Press Releases and simply use a Block Chooser to decide which person's contact information should be used within the page.

Another example (used quite frequently with clients) is the idea of a callout or highlighted section. Other organizations (using the same concept from above) frequently create static XHTML blocks to use around their Site. Users can simply choose what callout (HTML stored in a static block) they would like to use on a page rather than needing to create the HTML by hand every single time.

There is a Webinar on our main marketing site about Structured Data Blocks that would be great for showing you some hands on examples of what I've described above. I encourage you to check it out if you have some time. (It's about 38 minutes long.)

Hope this information helps!

3. Charlie Holder closed this discussion on 17 Feb, 2012 04:43 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac