Cascade without blocks or regions?

Michael McGinnis

13 Jul, 2011 10:26 PM

I mean, is it crazy to try to create a site in Cascade without any blocks or regions besides DEFAULT?

The Template has only a DEFAULT region.

The Data Definition, linked to a Content Type, is comprehensive, since it includes every field that might otherwise be included in separate blocks:
Header: Title, Image
Main: Heading, Subheading, Summary
Sidebar: Heading, Links
Footer: Links

The XSLT format is likewise comprehensive, since it must style the entire page based on these fields.

Is there a use case for such a strategy? It seems to have the benefit of making everything immediately editable, with no extra files. And I don't know of any other way to make New -> Page work smoothly without somebody having to link the regions to blocks after creating the page. Except by creating the whole page using nothing but metadata: making the Title the heading and the Summary the body.

1. 1 Posted by Michael McGinni... on 10 Aug, 2011 06:07 PM

I've tried three different approaches when setting up one site, including this one. The only disadvantage seemed to be that the Data Definition was very long. What do you think?

2. 2 Posted by Charlie Holder on 10 Aug, 2011 06:15 PM

I'm not quite sure I understand your original post, but your Data Definition can supply content for multiple system-region callouts in a Page. You don't HAVE to use just one single region and insert the entire HTML structure for the body of the page content.

To answer the second half of your original post, it sounds like you might be looking for an Asset Factory that would help you create a Page without the need for "somebody having to link the regions to blocks after creating the page" as you put it.

As for your most recent post, many times the Data Definitions are quite lengthy. You're able to edit/customize everything about a Page from one screen -- so it definitely can be extensive. How you use that information can vary. Sometimes people choose to use one single system-region and sometimes they break it up. It just depends on how much HTML structure you want to code in your Format and how much you want to keep in your Template.

Hope this helps.

3. 3 Posted by Michael McGinni... on 11 Aug, 2011 10:08 PM

Yes, that helps confirm what I was thinking. I'm preparing sites for some pretty non-technical users who are used to Wordpress. So Approach Number 1 (create multiple system-region callouts, with Data Definitions for each block) might be complicated for them in some cases. Anything more than filling in the blanks might be too complicated for them. That's what you're proposing that an Asset Factory can help with: it allows them just to fill in the blanks. So I have to balance whether putting everything on one screen with a page-level Data Definition (something I wouldn't do on the Web if the web form was long - I might use multi-page wizards instead) would frighten them more than bite-sized block-level Data Definitions.

4. Michael McGinnis closed this discussion on 11 Aug, 2011 10:08 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac